frc118
camera
robonauts
mcc
ri3d
everybot
ri3drobotin3days

We modified the intake

Have you found any benefit to this over the everybots original intake?

there’s really no benefit

Mind if i ask the reasoning for doing it differently then?

we originally thought it would be easier to build but now we are running into the problem of the 13inch diameter ball not being able to get sucked in like we thought it would

One of the reasons a top roller is preferred to side rollers for intakes that pick up balls is because there is a greater “pickup width” that way. As long as the top of the ball touches the roller, it doesn’t matter where along the roller it touches, it’s going in. With side rollers, if only one side of the intake touches the ball / it is way off center, it can have a harder time picking things up.

Side rollers are viable for game pieces that are square or rectangular, which don’t roll away and can’t be as easily picked up with a top roller. But for any ball game piece, you’re going to need a really good reason to stray from a top roller intake.

It’s also easier to design / test / implement, which is probably why it’s on the everybot.

May not have much success this year, but they do have a history of it.

Bagged it last night. Thanks 118 for sharing your every bot with every one.

I’d like to start a motion to lock this thread until 118’s reveal video is released. I’m far to hyped to have this thread’s name moving across the top of the recent post feed.

Hello RStockon429,

I am curious, your hatch using the BOSCH motor. In your description you said you use a 2 1/2" 1/4-20 bolt for the motor (or to hold the motor).

What bolt are you using for the actual turning of the hand? The 2 1/2" 1/4-20 bolt does not grip with anything when you place it in the motor area, what were you using?

Please advise.

P.D.
pdiak@rogers.com

The technical document pretty clearly explains how the bolt integrates with the motor, have you looked at the pictures on page 19&20?

Yes I did, I have read it over.

It suggests that you used a 2 1/2" 1/4-20 bolt. However, that bolt does not grip with the female motor mounting area. When you place that bolt inside the hole, it does not grip. Unless that bolt being referenced is for mount the motor itself to a side, I am just confirming that the 2 1/2" 1/4-20 bolt reference goes into the female hole of the motor.

We are a rookie team, just trying to understand. I read it over yet again, it says that two of these bolts are used (one in the motor) and one to attach to the l brackets to hold to the hatch bar…

Im confused how the bolt that has the spacers allows for the hand to go up and down, but there is nothing gripping the screw the motor itself (since the screw is smaller than the hole) and is not hex, so it doesnt lock in.

I know you probably get a thousand questions, but we are new, just trying to understand.

You are correct, there is no direct engagement between the female output of the seat motor and the hatch finger. To transfer torque, you will need to crank this bolt down pretty tightly and rely on the friction between the washers and the side faces of the female output. We’ve found that it acts like a clutch and protects the motor that would otherwise not backdrive without breaking.

Okay. So we tighten the bolt as tight, and the washers act as a clutch. I thought that was the case, but wanted to be sure… I did not want to destroy the motor, we have a limited budget, and have been on our own. Thank you for the tip, I just wanted to be sure before I risked the motor.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my post. In relation to the motor, can it be setup using the PWM on the ROBORIO and not the DIO? We are using PWM for our motors. I have read people talking about this, just wanted to be sure. I know we have to slow the motor down…

We ran the seat motor with PWM from the roboRIO through a Victor SPX motor controller.

I was planning on using the same motor controller through PWM. Can you refer me to a site that discusses the java code to control it? Is there any difference between it and say controlling any other motor? Does it use a special library?

The seat motor can be programmed just like other motors. The “PAC-Bot” code we used is described in the Everybot documentation and is available for download on the Robonauts website.

Just a quick thanks from 7023. We built the everybot and we’re running upto 8 cargo per match. Our kids found it easy to collect cargo and deliver hatches. Even got a buddy climb. Stoked with our efforts made possible by you.

Maybe if we were more consistent we could have been selected for an alliance. Belt alignment issues plagued us throuout the event, due to our inability to align shafts.

We got plagued a couple of matches but was due to our belt now being cammed even… once we fixed that we didnt have another issue.