The Robots vs. The Carpet

This year more than other I can recall (and my memory is long), the Carpet is not holding its own against the Robots. Drivetrains of all varieties are leaving their marks. This snip from earlier today at Sacramento is a particularly striking example.

It is artistic, in a nerdy kind of way. Definitely not monochrome.

Neyland III 20 for comparison:

9 Likes

Also holes being burn in the carpet. This year, lots of bots are spinning their wheels against the fender causing the carpet to burn.

This was Wilsonville and this was all damage caused from wheels being spun in place.

4 Likes

Our team’s drivetrain belt snapped at Finger Lakes because it tore up a chunk of carpet :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

This was bound to happen, with so many teams having access to very powerful brushless motors and many teams attempting swerve with suboptimal controls

6 Likes

Our practice field carpet is TOAST!

4 Likes

Burnt toast, by the look if not the smell.

2 Likes

Blame 5994K1.

13 Likes

Wdym by suboptimal controls?

2 Likes

This stuff? Looks mean.

4 Likes

Lots of teams are new to Swerve and don’t really have the programming chops for doing it well but have the chops to get something that works on the robot easily enough

Back in the day, (when this was first made a rule) this was considered field damage. I remember our team being dinged for a “purposely damaging the field” penalty back in 2003 because our robot got caught on a wall in auton and we melted a hole in the carpet. I think that the current way is probably a better way to deal with this.

I wanted to use four falcons on our drivetrain (not swerve, just tank) but I was denied since we need to have spares for our climber.

At gpk this was considered field damage it was just hard to find out who was doing it so nobody got in trouble for it.

I thought it was those angry bird motors!

4 Likes

First long ago came up with the solution to trenched and burnt carpet. Regolith and Delrin wheels.

25 Likes

Yeah, I wonder if the simplest solution isn’t just to reduce the weight limit. Not sure how simple it is to find a tougher carpet, and reducing power seems like a worse solution.

3 Likes

100 lb weight limit, 100 inch perimeter limit. And 4 robot alliances.

5 Likes

Yes, as soon as we’re no longer struggling to get 24 robots at some events

I mean, it’s not like a 100lbs kitbot can burn holes in the carpet…

Ohh wait…

I’ll be honest and say I don’t know what the answer is here but I suspect a better understanding of where teams are going to try and park/launch/score from for games is the path of least effort for all parties involved.

Oh, I don’t think it’ll solve the carpet burn issues, if anything 100 lb robots with four falcon drivetrains will be more likely to make holes rather than less.

I would just really enjoy the program evolving in the four Jr bot direction :sweat_smile:

3 Likes