The site of the competition

Posted by Sean Kim, Student on team #115 from Monta Vista High School.

Posted on 4/26/99 5:30 PM MST

Hi, guys!

i was just wondering if we have to have this competition in Orlando. I mean it’s HOT and it’s HOT and it’s HUMID and then it’s HOT and CROWDED.

I would personally like to have it in California, but that’s my opinion. = )
The money the teams spend for the trip is pretty large. The airplane tickets are expensive. The rooms are expensive. All the meals and drinks are expensive($2.50 for a can of Coke!).
I saw that we had 40 teams in Michgan and 20 teams in California.
Maybe we could hold the competition in Michigan and save a bunch of money for a lot of teams.

Or we could make this like a Superbowl…so that one of the regional sites become selected every year to hold the national competition. I don’t know why Disney got involved with this too much.

I am guessing that the facility and the lodging is sufficient only with Disneyworld. But that’s not totally true either. I am sure there are a lot of places where we can do this in other states.

Am I right?
what do you guys think?

BTW we did really bad!
didn’t even win the animation award!!! groan

Posted by Mike Kulibaba, Student on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional and Johnson and Johnson.

Posted on 4/26/99 6:05 PM MST

In Reply to: The site of the competition posted by Sean Kim on 4/26/99 5:30 PM MST:

I agree that is very hot and the fod was very expensive, etc. But nothing could ever make me want to go somewhere else for the national competition. There is just a certain atmosphere that Disney has that makes the competiiton more fun. At when you talk about why Disney got into a program like this, i think it was mostly to help kids but it was also to spread the name of Disney around and when you think about those $2.50 cokes, where do you think that money goes to? how many teams do you think bought tickets to go into Epcot or the Magic Kingdom. Disney, in my mind has made a very wise move. Not only do that get the idea that they are helping kids become engineers and better people but they also get the benefits of having people buy their food, going to their parks, Staying at their hotels. But I would also like to say, I don’t know how I would feel about having somewhere else cause I have never gone anywhere else for a competition the size of this one and I do agree that it is hot and thier are alot of people but with 207 teams that might be the case anywhere. Plus when you talk about having it Somewhere else who can put the money, time, effort and find a place to hold this. Don’t forget, that whole place is a parking lot before and after the competition. But if Some place can come up with the resources and can find a place to hold over 200 teams then maybe FIRST should look into it. But I wouldn’t rather do anything then be hot at Walt Disney World watching and competing in the FIRST competition. There is no magic like Disney and there is no competition like FIRST. I think they are a perfect match

Kuli Team 88 TJ²

Posted by Tom McKay, Student on team #65, The Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 4/27/99 2:09 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: The site of the competition posted by Mike Kulibaba on 4/26/99 6:05 PM MST:

Ditto.

Posted by Andrew Trax, Coach on team #180, S.P.A.M., from Southfork,Martin Co. High and UTC.

Posted on 4/26/99 6:12 PM MST

In Reply to: The site of the competition posted by Sean Kim on 4/26/99 5:30 PM MST:

Actually, the weather isn’t usually that hot this early in the year.
Even we Floridians were sweating it out - literally.
The Disney site has its pros and cons. Starting on the con side:
distance for some teams, expense. But wherever the National were held,
someone would have a looooong drive; it’s a big country. Michigan does have
the edge in number of teams, but I heard they had snow flurries last weekend.
On the pro side: 22 Florida teams this year, no snow, local
transportation is free, and an excellent wrap party (NASA Kennedy
Regional also did a GREAT party). And it doesn’t hurt when
recruiting volunteers (engineers, teachers, CORPORATE SPONSORS) to mention
that ‘Oh, by the way, Disney hosts the National’.
We heard from Dean Kamen at the UTC Awards Breakfast Sunday morning
that Disney is constructing a 40,000 seat arena. That would eliminate
kneeling on the astroturf and be a fantastic venue for the National.

Mrs. Trax

Posted by Chris, Coach on team #308, Walled Lake Monster, from Walled Lake Schools and TRW Automotive Electronics.

Posted on 4/26/99 10:04 PM MST

I think that having the competition at Disney is a huge advantage in recruiting people for the competition. Many people get into the competition just because they get to go to Disney out of the deal. I don’t think changing that would be a good idea.

I think the solution to the heat problem is to hold the competition at a different time of year. A little bird told me (slang for some inside information that slipped out) that they are considering moving the nationals to the Fall sometime. Maybe that should be on the rumor mill, though.

-Chris

Posted by Sean Kim, Student on team #115 from Monta Vista High School.

Posted on 4/26/99 11:17 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: The site of the competition posted by Chris on 4/26/99 10:04 PM MST:

I don’t know…
Entering the competition for the sake of Florida…
I guess it could be effective in a short run, but then those people who are just going to Florida aren’t really in the FIRST. They are in Disneyworld. Our team, kinda, didn’t tell anyone that we are going to Florida for the Nationals when we were recruiting for that matter.

kison

Posted by Andrew Trax, Coach on team #180, S.P.A.M., from Southfork,Martin Co. High and UTC.

Posted on 4/27/99 3:46 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: The site of the competition posted by Sean Kim on 4/26/99 11:17 PM MST:

I disagree. It’s impossible to describe the FIRST experience to a
potential volunteer or sponsor without sounding like a fanatic. If you
get someone to Nationals at Disney, they’re sold. Folks from
our school disctrict, friends, parents dropped in to visit. We’re only
2.5 hrs south. They were amazed at what they saw. They expected a science fair
and saw FIRST instead.

Posted by Bethany Dunning, Coach on team #163, Quantum Mechanics, from International Academy and Quantum Consultants/EATON/ITT Industries.

Posted on 4/27/99 9:54 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: The site of the competition posted by Andrew Trax on 4/27/99 3:46 AM MST:

I agree with you. We had a chaperone on our trip that had not been involved with the team at all. In fact, she was a last minute replacement - she didn’t know she was going until less than 24 hours before we left. But Thursday afternoon, she was on the floor in the pits, putting the team name on the bot with tape. She’s hooked, and we are hoping she coaches next year. It is a sight to behold.
: I disagree. It’s impossible to describe the FIRST experience to a
: potential volunteer or sponsor without sounding like a fanatic. If you
: get someone to Nationals at Disney, they’re sold. Folks from
: our school disctrict, friends, parents dropped in to visit. We’re only
: 2.5 hrs south. They were amazed at what they saw. They expected a science fair
: and saw FIRST instead.

Posted by Mike King, Other on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater Raynham and Johnson & Johnson Professional.

Posted on 4/27/99 8:37 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: The site of the competition posted by Bethany Dunning on 4/27/99 9:54 AM MST:

: I agree with you. We had a chaperone on our trip that had not been involved with the team at all. In fact, she was a last minute replacement - she didn’t know she was going until less than 24 hours before we left. But Thursday afternoon, she was on the floor in the pits, putting the team name on the bot with tape. She’s hooked, and we are hoping she coaches next year. It is a sight to behold.
: : I disagree. It’s impossible to describe the FIRST experience to a
: : potential volunteer or sponsor without sounding like a fanatic. If you
: : get someone to Nationals at Disney, they’re sold. Folks from
: : our school disctrict, friends, parents dropped in to visit. We’re only
: : 2.5 hrs south. They were amazed at what they saw. They expected a science fair
: : and saw FIRST instead.

We’ve had more than few ‘recruits’ who honestly thought they would only contribute a few hours a week. That didn’t last long.

Mike