The Terms Attacking and Defending

Last year and the years before the term “playing defense” was interpreted as being annoying and preventing scoring. However this year, I think that we should be interpreting “playing defense” or defending as placing the Power Cubes on your alliance’s Switch because you’re preventing your opponents from taking control of it from you. And use attacking for placing Power Cubes on the Opponent’s Switch because you’re trying to take control of their Switch. THis would also fit into the video game theme seen in MOBA’s where you’re either attacking the enemy structures or defending them from attacking yours. What do you guys think?

The definition of defense to me has always been the denial of points to the opposing alliance. For example, playing defense in Steamworks meant that you either prevented an opponent from getting gears or getting a hang, so this year’s example of defense would be the opposing alliance’s switch, since you wouldn’t gain points by doing so. I would argue that taking control of the scale, while it does deny them points, is mostly for the offensive component of your alliance gaining points.

I guess I should add that no recent game had a more “attacking” objective. This is due to the fact that both alliances didn’t share the points, so the closest we ever saw to attacking was fighting over gears, fuel, and boulders.

However, this could be very situational; say if you have possession of the scale, but the opposing alliance is attempting to gain control by putting more Power Cubes on their side. Putting Power Cubes on the scale at that point would be a defensive maneuver because it is not intended to score additional points but rather preventing the opposition from scoring.

I like the description and I really like your MOBA analogy!

Is defense of defense really defense?

You cannot score points from your opponent’s switch, therefore possessing an opponent’s switch is purely defensive. If you are making it difficult for your opponent to take your switch, you are defending against their defense.

However, does this acute terminology matter in this case? Last I heard defense is generally considered the same as always (except 2015): getting in the way of your opponent, pushing them, etc. . Then again, this is the first game in over a decade that features a main objective where the two alliances compete for the same points/control.

Does it really matter? Nope. But it was one of the thoughts that I got today after strat discussions today because there are a lot of different types of defense this game, but these two cases feel like they should have special names. In the end, it really doesn’t matter, but it’s a neat quirk