The Upcoming Year

Posted by Andy Grady.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #42, P.A.R.T.S, from Alvirne High School and Daniel Webster College.

Posted on 10/19/99 8:25 AM MST

Here is a question I propose to everyone that ive been thinking of lately. Just about every year there seems to be some sort of big change in the competition that effects future competitions. For instance the addition of the human player in 96, tubes in 97, and alliances last year. What do you think is gonna be the biggest change in the competition this year?
Have a good one,
Andy Grady, DWC/Alvirne

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 10/20/99 6:13 PM MST

In Reply to: The Upcoming Year posted by Andy Grady on 10/19/99 8:25 AM MST:

This year I bet we will have to make machines that can handle many shapes. Alliances, Yes, but 3 per side. that means 6 teams playing at a time.

Oh did I mention playing surface that has ‘Bumps’.

My thoughts.

Posted by Tom.

Other on team none from none sponsored by none.

Posted on 10/21/99 7:51 AM MST

Andy,
I’ll say it once again FOOTBALLS!!! I also think that alliances will stay. But only in pairs not in threes. We are definately going to have to climb something. Maybe even different levels. I would like to see an odd surface ie. bumps or corn kernels(92).
tom

Posted by Daniel.

Coach on team (working on the name) from Berkeley High School sponsored by (working on the sponsor, too).

Posted on 10/25/99 11:09 PM MST

So far, the most predictable part of the competition is the drive train. Veteran teams can spend the entire off-season working on perfecting their already functional drivetrain, while rookie teams are strugeling to find a home. FIRST threw a wrench into the mix last year by adding the puck, but even so, drivetrains were pretty easily modified to incorperate that factor. This gave veteran teams the very same advantage over rookies (if a LITTLE less severe). I think FIRST realizes that inequalities such as these make the already challenging role of being a rookie, even more challenging. So to make a way too long story short, I think the floor or the playing feild will have a very prominent third dimention, be it bumps, holes, or steps.

I know my team hasn’t had even a second to discuss drivetrains. We’re homeless… =)

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #246, a FIRST-aholic, from John D. O’Byrant High School and Boston University/MassPEP.

Posted on 10/27/99 8:14 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: I must agree posted by Daniel on 10/25/99 11:09 PM MST:

i definitely see where you’re coming from…

past years it was no big deal- i came from a team who ‘knew what they were doing’ Gael Force was in it from the '92…they had the experience…so big changes like the puck weren’t so big (‘specially if instead of changin’ that set drive train you hang instead ;-)… but now that i’m on a team who’s main concerns are $$$ and a home (we don’t really have one either) it seems like more complex the challenge, it’s that much harder an already difficult task…

however, i kinda believe it’s all part of the game too… soon enough, we’ll be the veterans, and soon enough, more veterens will join the team (good news for our team- last year we had on college student running this team- now i’ve joined, and some veterens of the Nashua team from both BU and Wentworth Institute of Tech.) so every year the challenge of being a new is going to get harder and easier- the games have to get harder too keep the old teams challenged- but the longer this goes on, the more experienced people can join new teams and the more aware sponsors are (making it hopefully easier to get money)…

best of luck to finding a home…