The use of motors and parts in Dean's wheelchair

Posted by Susanne Krussell.

Coach on team #163, The Quantum Mechanics, from International Academy and Quantum Consultants/Eaton/ITT.

Posted on 7/3/99 4:32 PM MST

Mike Martus made a comment about ‘who is inspiring who?’ and it bears repeating and discussing. First question I have is, do we know any of the engineers that worked with Dean? Did he do this alone? I know that Johnson & Johnson were involved. What kinds of motors were used? Think there were any drill motors? :)) The use of gyros is nothing short of brilliant. Did he use hydraulics (or pneumatics)? Did he use any chain or belt drives? Is there just one 12 volt? What is the top speed? Are the torque curves available? What is the total weight? How much weight can it support? What are any limitations? What program did he use for the computer? How much computer is there on the thing? WHEN CAN WE SEE IT??? Will any of the future competitions have ‘riders’ on board? Or will the insurance and lawyer people put a stop to that idea? I know that he said in the Dateline story that it wouldn’t be available for a year and a half or so, but CAN WE SEE IT BEFORE THAT, PLEASE??

Posted by Mike King.

Other on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater Raynham and Johnson & Johnson Professional.

Posted on 7/4/99 1:08 PM MST

In Reply to: The use of motors and parts in Dean’s wheelchair posted by Susanne Krussell on 7/3/99 4:32 PM MST:

My personal opionion on who’s inspiring who. I think the Idea for this year’s game came from him developing that wheelchair, not the other way around. The extensive amount of development time it must have taken to develop it leads me to believe he was working on it before January.

Later all

Mike

Posted by Dan.

Student on team #10, BSM, from Benilde-St. Margaret’s and Banner Engineering.

Posted on 7/4/99 7:14 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: The use of motors and parts in Dean’s wheelchair posted by Mike King on 7/4/99 1:08 PM MST:

I remember hearing something like 5 years in development. And I got dibs on the first ride at Dean’s house during kickoff. :slight_smile:
:-Dan

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 7/5/99 7:20 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: The use of motors and parts in Dean’s wheelchair posted by Mike King on 7/4/99 1:08 PM MST:

I am sure that part of the past years game was inspired by his work on his invention.
The problems that he encountered most likely seemed very interesting to say the least, and Dean wanted to share them with the community of FIRST.

The inspiring is showing the film footage to our students as proof that the American Inventor is alive and well, with the thought ‘You also can do this’.
There is a great message and example here that will serve education well.

This invention has the potential to be a major inpact on the physically challenged. I think we all personally know a person who would benifit from this and change the quality of their life.

Is this not what science is all about and specifically

For

Inspiration and

Recognition of

Science and

Technology

Posted by Mike King.

Other on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater Raynham and Johnson & Johnson Professional.

Posted on 7/4/99 11:58 PM MST

In Reply to: The use of motors and parts in Dean’s wheelchair posted by Susanne Krussell on 7/3/99 4:32 PM MST:

:WHEN CAN WE SEE IT???

One other thing that jumped out at me. Since it’s not FDA approved, and it is a medical implemnt. He can not have it anywhere but his personal property, and Labatories. So it showing up at Epcot is probably outta the question. But Dan is right. No problem with seeing it at his house.

Mike