the verb to CAD CADded? CADed?

Hi, my name is Noah Clark, 7 year member of the MO-HI SHZBOTS team 1245, in Louisville Colorado.

I have a simple question, is CADded or CADed a word that I can actually use on paper, or is it only something that can be verbally said?

For instance, I am working on our teams CAD website page www.shazbots.org/cad_2009.html and I need to know if I can put “CADded” on the site, saying “I have CADded…”, or is it considered improper and unprofessional?

CAD is an acronym for Computer Aided Design.
I’d guess the proper way to say that would be something like:
I created … using CAD.

so then should I not use the word CADded or CADing? (which I just realized that one too)

would it look unprofesional to put on a website?

I would personally stay away from trying to turn CAD into a verb. I think of it as a name of a process, which would be a noun. English majors, feel free to give input.

well ya, but the word “google” turned into a verb, every one says “I googled it…” or something like that. (even thought google is not an acronym, but same concept)
It seems like it is one of those official/unofficial things… I could probably get away with it, and I will always say it, but I guess I wont put it on my site.
Thanks.

Maybe use I modeled using CAD software.

googled and CADed would be odd colloquialisms. And that is what they are…colloquialisms. Unprofessional and nothing that I would ever use in a paper that’s actually being submitted. Like the people above said, CAD is a noun and a process, but not a verb, therefore, cannot be used in the past participle.

Don’t use for a website or paper. +$.02

alright. thanks.
maybe i’ll stay away form all the verbs I creat by taking nouns and sticking ed on, that dont create real words. lol. XD

Drafted

what???

I drafted the object using CAD software.

1 Like

That is what you do to stock.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, it’s what you do to top sports players (or robotics teams, if you play Fantasy FIRST).

I do use CAD as a verb on occasion, but only in informal usage.

One of the great things about the English language is that it is flexible. There is no central body to determine what is a word and what isn’t. If enough people use CAD as a verb, then it becomes a verb. No one body, for instance, made “googling” a verb, or made “spam” a type of e-mail. But they are now just as much a part of English as “searching” and “garbage”. It is really a rather democratic process.

So if you want to use CAD as a verb, go ahead, and stand proudly as an advocate for CADding. There isn’t a single word for “engaging in the process of design using computer assistance”, and perhaps there is need for one. On the other hand, be prepared for some criticism from those who either don’t feel the need for one… or who think that CADding is an unnecessary redundancy due to the fact that designing is a perfectly functioning existant verb that describes the core process and that the presence or absence of computers is largely irrelevant to the process.

Jason

P.S. There are several uses for the word “draft” and it’s English counterpart “draught”: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=draft&db=luna

I use CADding and CADded, but thatz just me. I don’t see anything wrong with it since half the words in English don’t follow the rules anyway.

but there is a distinct difference from profesionalism and not. I know a lot of people us it in an unformal way, but that doesn’t mean its profesional to write it out…

I’ll just keep saying it but not use it on my site. It not like its that hard to use it as a noun anyways. lol XD

Why is it that I see the decline of western civilization in this quote :rolleyes:

Dan’s right, just because no one will correct you doesn’t mean its right. I for one enjoy reading a well written post. I also have a habit of disregarding posts that are rife with typos and mix up words often (to,too,two or there,their,they’re) I would say it isn’t personal but frankly it is. However, if I happen to know English isn’t someone’s native language it is a different story. Please try to use proper English when possible.

I believe that a proper way of saying you ‘CADed’ something would be, “I designed this using CAD software.”

I also apologize for the off topic nature of my post, I do appreciate that you are making an attempt at being professional on your website. Also, for practical purposes around the CD community, CADed is probably acceptable as an industry term.

EDIT: Please note, I try to follow my own advice, I don’t always succeed. And by no means is this justification to start insulting people for spelling.

From someone who has gone from table drafting in days of yore to computer drafting, I’ve never used I CADded a drawing for you. I may have drawn it, or (rarely) drafted it. I don’t think I’ve ever heard CADded. In my mind, it would be an “inside joke” way to phrase it, similar to using “ain’t” or “more better”.

I’m thinking it might be how easy it is to type or say. One can easily have googled for something, but it’s not easier to say or write I CADded a drawing.

Another possibility is that it is assumed you had computer assistance to draw it, and you don’t have to actually say it? If you drew a drawing, did you use CAD or use pencil and paper? Back in paper days it would have been I made these blueprints for you or I’ll blueprint it for you. In between the two I would have done it on the computer. (And back then it was CADD, not CAD.)

Probably if I saw CADded on a resume I would raise an eyebrow. May not be a deal breaker, but in architecture and construction words do have certain meanings.

And to put the word on a solid footing, we can’t even write the word the same way! I think it’s CADded, others have used CADed. To me, the latter is the past tense of to CADE.

All in all, Noah, an amusing and interesting question.

It only looks that way because different words come from different sources which have different rules. Look at any discussion of the proper plural form of the word “virus” to see the resulting confusion.

My complaint is that English has so many rules that it’s impossible to follow some without breaking others. :stuck_out_tongue: