The Week 7 Disadvantage

There’s a ton of absolutely amazing robots that competed during week 7 this year. Unless my count is wrong, only 3 teams who played during that week of events made it to Einstein (3175, 3603, 3534). The field is obviously extremely competitive, luck plays a huge factor, and the sample size is small. But not having a team as an alliance captain or first pick who played in the extremely competitive week 7 events makes me wonder if the turn around is simply too much, and having a week 7 event becomes a legitimate disadvantage at Houston this year. Maybe 6328 made the smartest play of all by not attending New England’s week 7 district championship.

6 Likes

Well it is definitely hard on the teams to basically have to compete for two weeks straight, sometimes 3 based off of whether they competed week 6 or not.

Which week is the right week to play in?

Week 0

1 Like

Usually all teams that attend Houston champs have finished competing by the end of week 6 competitions. Teams competing in Week 7 comps (Ontario, Michigan, NE, and Indiana DCMPs this year, plus Chesapeake in 2019) qualify for the northern championship which is held week 9. This gives everyone at least a week to deal with the logistical headache that is the championship and take a breather. This year those teams had all of 3 days.

1 Like

I’m a fan of 3 and 5, with 6 as a backup if in regionals

3 & 5 + DCMP 6/7 if in districts

1 Like

*Laughs in Indiana only having 3 events*

2 Likes

To be fair, Indiana events were weeks 1,3,4 with a state in week 7.

Given the long break between weeks 4 and 7 (and Worlds being week 8), I wish state could have been earlier.

1 Like

The issue is for teams that don’t get into that week one event. We’re then forced to do two events in a row with three days in between (during the schools spring break). I get not many schools want to host an FRC event and those that do likely have other events to work around, but those two weeks were certainly a bit overwhelming for a small team.

We were hamstrung by student travel limitations. Having said that: I do not think it was significant enough to change our tournament outcome.

1 Like

I totally agree.

If I had to worry about going to weeks 3 & 4 or going to a week 7 state and a week 7.5/8 worlds. I would still prefer the back to back district qualifiers. Those are at least known in the fall/winter as well as in the same state versus the latter which is a mad scramble to worry about travel and hotels.

1 Like

For us (548) in 2019, MSC was farther than worlds lol

2 Likes

1.5 hrs to SVSU, .5 hrs to Worlds. Life is rough! :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.