The weight of the goals a major factor!!

In this years game the weight of the goals are 130 lbs!!!

Your robot can be 130 lbs max.

That’s a maximum 260 lbs of work.

The traction of the 130 lbs goals on the carpet will be a large problem in itself.

The key strategy may be in building a goal moving robot, which will require quite a bit of traction, and the wheels FIRST provides are no help at all.

-Shafi

the goals actually wiegh 185 lbs. :smiley:

you positive on that weight? Last time i checked I think I saw 130. At kickoff I do remember hearing Woodie say 181 lbs.

Another side note…

That’s a maximum 260 lbs of work.

Not really. Some teams may be grabbing 2 goals, putting the total to 390 lbs. Or, if you have a goal and an opponent has the other end thats much more work than 260lbs to overcome. Be sure to work that possibility in if you plan to latch on to a goal

Just think though… if you are able to lift two goals up off the ground, that gives you much greater friction force with the floor. No one’s going to push you around if your motors are strong enough. F=uN so if u is constant and your normal force is more than trippled, no one’s going to pick on you, that’s for sure.

~Tom Fairchild~, who would never actually think of making a robot that does that. :wink:

We considered latching unto 2 goals…

But how do you suppose to move that amount of weight?

thx-(180 lbs goals even worse)

Here in Kokomo our goal weighs around 167 lbs…(am i right?), but i heard we have aluminium stripping around the edges of the wood and not steel…

so that should add some weight making it very similar to 180 lbs…

*Originally posted by Clark Gilbert *
**Here in Kokomo our goal weighs around 167 lbs…(am i right?), but i heard we have aluminium stripping around the edges of the wood and not steel…

so that should add some weight making it very similar to 180 lbs… **

yeah, thats what andy said when i was there

There is at least one way for one robot to latch onto all three goals.

What??? Do you think I’m going to tell you how??? C’mon use that noggin of yours!!!

I remember way back in 1999 the “Puck” being heavy especially with 3 bots on top. I don’t know how heavy it was with or without the bots, but I know there were some teams that could move it. The one team the sticks in my mind the most was WPI’s bot. There traction did help, but they had a very strong robot.

Just take the obvious into consideration. BUILD WHAT YOU NEED you are capable to do so.

If you check the update, as everybody should, it says that the goals weigh about 181 pounds a piece. Sounds like fun to me. Traction, now traction isn’t the problem if you make your own wheels, which can easily be done with low expenses. Have fun!

when there was a puck on the field there were robots that could move the puck with two robots on it and another pulling the other way.

Look at team 61 :smiley:

It is all in the taction and motors. I would like to see a robot pull off atfter this is all done.

to push 3 goals and two robots at the same time. No Problem.

Power, Power that is what is going to win the game.

Mike

Look at the drive train of team 61.