There is a new FIRST!

I thought we were FIRST now there might be another one…

Yea, this bill has a pretty misleading title.

FIRST® is a registered trademark of USFIRST. I wonder what FIRST® can do about a proposed House bill that uses its trademark in a similar context to how FIRST® does (and is admittedly somewhat against FIRST®’s values).

Interesting, I wonder if this kind of usage and trade-marking has any jurisdiction over the legislative sector.

I have to say, that some of the most transformative research, that in the long run justifies its cost and purpose, is not the type that is easily apparent that it will be so.

As an example, did all the research in theoretical computation in the 19th and early 20th centuries seem “worth it” at the time? Maybe not, but computers are everywhere now.

And, I can’t stop seeing that acronym. :o

The alternative bill, H.R.4159 - America Competes Reauthorization Act of 2014, also has an alternative name (and, if I may inject my personal opinion, is much more palatable).

upsetting the government is unaware of such a great program that first is just to take its name like that or they are aware and have the same praise to the bill as it does to the program (although unlikely)

WTF (what the foose)

And the objections come from the same people who wish to squash any public, much less scientific, debate about the reality of global warming? http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/charles-krauthammer-thought-police-on-patrol/2014/04/10/2608a8b2-c0df-11e3-b195-dd0c1174052c_story.html

Whose ox is being gored?

The government is absolutely aware of FIRST. “Dean’s Homework” for years past has been to talk to your local representatives, and Dean has appeared before Congress with FIRST teams many times. And in case you didn’t notice, **President Obama opened up our Championship this year.

Plenty of things have the acronym F-I-R-S-T. We’ve just gotta prove we’re the biggest, best, and loudest.

At least we are ranked first on acronymfinder.com haha

Ahhh of course, the Fraunhofer-Institut für Rechnerarchitektur Und Softwaretechnik. If they continue to gain traction, they could pass us up on the global stage as an acronym :stuck_out_tongue: … if people can figure out how to say it