There WAS a factor of excitement to this year's competition

Posted by Hymnson (Captain) at 04/19/2001 2:41 PM EST

Student on team #419, The Rambots, from Boston College High School and UMass Boston and Modern Assistance Programs, Inc…

It may not be the type of excitement in which things
blow up or decimated. But it has a clean, pure
intensity to it; anticipation and the element of time.

Allow me to elaborate…

I’ll admit the beginning of the match is kind of
boring but then near the end of the match, which I
found to be a adrenaline rush, it was most
exciting…

A robot is trying to balance the bridge (w/full goals)
while time is quickly fleeting. The first moments
when the bridge tips over and the big balls almost
fall off the goals, the team’s heart just skips a beat.
The edge of the bridge slams onto the playing field
as the first attempt fails. Then with few seconds
left, the robot makes another attempt to perfectly
balance the bridge without losing any more
points…tick tock…tick tock…as time runs out, the
robot is centered on the bridge however, the bridge
sways a lil bit. Buuuzzzzzz…out of time, everyone
holds their breath and the crowd is completely
silent in anticipation to behold the outcome. Finally
the bridge is still…

The bridge has been balanced!!! The crowd
overcomes the entire arena with shouts, cheers ,
screams of happiness and “high fives” of
satisfaction…the team leaves the playing field to
greet their victorious heros in the pit for a job well
done and achieving a terrific score. And everyone
is left with a hunger and excitement for their next
match…

Posted by Chris Orimoto at 04/19/2001 3:39 PM EST

Student on team #368, Kika Mana, from McKinley High School and Nasa Ames/Hawaiian Electric/Weinberg Foundation.

In Reply to: There WAS a factor of excitement to this year’s competition
Posted by Hymnson (Captain) on 04/19/2001 2:41 PM EST:

I hate to be the cynical one of the group…but there were also the times when anticipation were answered by disdain…

If the bridge was “almost balanced”, then time runs out or the teams time out…and BOOM, the bridge falls. It happened to us and it was probably the LONGEST half-a-second of my entire life. I was (driving) in the driver station, and when I saw it I just turned my back toward such a costly mistake. You could hear the entire crowd go “AWWWWWW…” This was one of the bad elements of this year’s game…as many have mentioned before (I think Jessica was the first), the lack of cheering during a “bad” match made the game a little less “exciting”.

This is compared to previous years when there was AT LEAST some cheering going on for a “victorious” team after every match, either by that team’s supporters, or by other teams in support of them. But during a 4-working-together match, where there’s a score of like 3 or something, what is there to cheer for (yes, the effort put into it and all, but who wants to cheer during such a disappointing time)?

Just my personal thoughts…

Chris, #368

Posted by Kris Verdeyen at 04/19/2001 3:48 PM EST

Engineer on team #118, Robonauts, from CCISD and NASA - Johnson Space Center and Friends.

In Reply to: Re: There WAS a factor of excitement to this year’s competition
Posted by Chris Orimoto on 04/19/2001 3:39 PM EST:

I think that it’s a good thing that there was no cheering during bad matches. Teams taking the “It’s funny because it’s not me” approach might be glad to see that the other teams in their division were failing, but we saw little of that at nats. Except, of course, for the notable exception of finals - but that was a completely different situation. There was direct competition between two alliances to get the higest score. If a team cheered after another team’s poor performance, they weren’t cheering because their opponents scored badly, they were cheering for their own team’s score, which had now been proven to be good enough.

Posted by Hymnson (Captain) at 04/19/2001 6:24 PM EST

Student on team #419, The Rambots, from Boston College High School and UMass Boston and Modern Assistance Programs, Inc…

Posted by Chris Orimoto on 04/19/2001 3:39 PM EST:

That was kind of my point, the excitement is in the anticipation of the teetering bridge. Wondering what your fate will be, success/failure? That everyone’s complete and undivided attention was focused onto a single action of a team. Its a rush…

-Hymnson

“True happiness is the moment preceding happiness.” - Jane Austin

Posted by Jay Lundy at 04/19/2001 8:45 PM EST

Student on team #254, The Cheesy Poofs, from Bellarmine College Preparatory and NASA Ames, Cypress Semiconductor, and Unity Care.

Posted by Hymnson (Captain) on 04/19/2001 6:24 PM EST:

I don’t think “excitement” is the right word when you’re watching a teetering bridge from the drivers station. It’s more like “scared” or “terrified” that the bridge could tip. Fortunately the bridge only tipped on us once when we thought it was balanced, unfortunately it was during the national finals…

: That was kind of my point, the excitement is in the anticipation of the teetering bridge.

Posted by Tom Fennell at 04/19/2001 4:58 PM EST

Student on team #112, Gear Grinders, from Buffalo Grove High School and Motorola.

From my point of view as a driver, you could not have captured these moments any better. There was definately excitement in this year’s comp…

: It may not be the type of excitement in which things
: blow up or decimated. But it has a clean, pure
: intensity to it; anticipation and the element of time.

: Allow me to elaborate…

: I’ll admit the beginning of the match is kind of
: boring but then near the end of the match, which I
: found to be a adrenaline rush, it was most
: exciting…

: A robot is trying to balance the bridge (w/full goals)
: while time is quickly fleeting. The first moments
: when the bridge tips over and the big balls almost
: fall off the goals, the team’s heart just skips a beat.
: The edge of the bridge slams onto the playing field
: as the first attempt fails. Then with few seconds
: left, the robot makes another attempt to perfectly
: balance the bridge without losing any more
: points…tick tock…tick tock…as time runs out, the
: robot is centered on the bridge however, the bridge
: sways a lil bit. Buuuzzzzzz…out of time, everyone
: holds their breath and the crowd is completely
: silent in anticipation to behold the outcome. Finally
: the bridge is still…

: The bridge has been balanced!!! The crowd
: overcomes the entire arena with shouts, cheers ,
: screams of happiness and “high fives” of
: satisfaction…the team leaves the playing field to
: greet their victorious heros in the pit for a job well
: done and achieving a terrific score. And everyone
: is left with a hunger and excitement for their next
: match…

Posted by Jason Iannuzzi at 04/20/2001 9:09 AM EST

Engineer on team #11, Marauders, from Mt. Olive HS. and BASF, Rame Hart, CCM.

For the first time in my history of FIRST, because I wasn’t a coach and our machine had no problems, this year I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time in the stands. I spoke with many, many people who weren’t necessarily on teams, but just showed up to see what it was all about.

Every single person I spoke with who had seen the competition last year had the same thing to say, “last year was more exciting.”

While it’s true that there were moments when the game was fun to watch this year, the majority of the competition, unless your team was on the field, just wasn’t that great.

Posted by colleen - T190 at 04/20/2001 12:28 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

In Reply to: Ask an impartial observer for comments
Posted by Jason Iannuzzi on 04/20/2001 9:09 AM EST:

My mom has been spectating the game since my brother first joined in 1995…

1995-2001 she’s been to all the regionals… and every year since I joined (1996) she took the trip to the nationals… 'cept this year…

There was no reason. After going to the UTC regional… it didn’t seem very exciting to watch at all… so what would there be to see at Nat’s really… so she saved the money and watch some on the internet…

'course, as most would say… the only matches really worth watching were our [their] teams… about 20minutes of excitement over a 3-day-adventure…

And as in the past 5 years, I was on stage… so there was a different ‘excitement’ for me… but I still found it was a rarity I went to go watch a match cause “this will be a good one” like the old days… or just enjoyed watching… it was all for strategy purposes… and to simply know “they can/can’t do that”

It was boring… bring back '99!