They're just volunteers!

Look man, if theres a bomb in the pits you bet im running, rules or not.

34 Likes

Ok but lets be real though

2 Likes

A much better way to ask the same question is, “what are the building evacuation procedures in case of an emergency”.

Many of these complaints can be explained as a lack of tact/social skills by individual volunteers.

1 Like

The inappropriate part of this is the “will be forced to take supervised walking laps of the pit area.” Volunteers not associated with our team do not get to arbitrarily determine punishments for our students.

9 Likes

I joked about this before but after it happening at FLR a second year in a row I think we’re going to get some of these for our student pulling the cart to wear. This will make sure any random people that are walking around not yelling “human” so everyone knows they take up space on the floor wont hit us and get hurt somehow.

R24.1 DRIVE TEAM members are required to have BUMPERS to protect all outside corners of the FRAME PERIMETER.

14 Likes

Speaking of bombs, during school, there was a bomb threat and everyone was told to stay inside of the school and were NOT informed of a bomb threat until it was on the news. No even the teachers were. The announcement was “we will now enter a shelter in place.” For a bomb threat. You would think we could be let outside onto the big field out there but nope. Students and teachers may stay where they are and who cares if you’re near the bomb?

1 Like

Sure, sure.

2015, we were called literally last second to sub in for 1510 during the finals of DCMP. The venue had a bit of a walk from the pits to the field, so the vols basically cleared a path for us and we did run to the field, bot in tow.

Was it safe? No, not really. Our 2015 bot was large and wasnt the most stable on our cart.
Was it necessary? Yes, we made it basically as the timeout ended. We probably wouldnt of been allowed on the field with the time difference walking.

2 Likes

I guess if the head ref gives a pass, all judges and others must not accuse you of direct unavailability of the safety award.

Rephrase: You cannot not be eligible for the Safety Award for running in the pits if the Head Ref gives a pass. Judges should/need to understand why the Head Ref would do that.

In general, I have never had bad experiences with volunteers. They have always been nice and friendly. The one or two times I accidentally broke rules right in front of a volunteer, they always politely corrected me. I suppose part of it might be that some of these volunteers are team mentors, and I’m used to our head mentor/teacher’s bark, but every volunteer that I’ve worked with or met/talked with has been nice to me, and I try to be nice back (Sometimes I’m under so much stress I snap but that’s the exception, not the rule)

2 Likes

I have been volunteering, as a robot inspector for around 15 years.
Not once have I had a student cry because they were over weight because my foot was on the scale. 99% of them laugh.
One team came by to reweigh (they were over weight), I had my toe on the scale. They saw they were over weight and one student said “we have taken things off. What else can we remove?” I said “My foot” They laughed.
I DON’T do this if we are backed up inspecting.
If I ask a team if they have pneumatics, and they say “no” I then ask them if they have any old-matics.
I once told a team that they couldn’t have a previous years game pieces on their robot. They gave me a strange look until I told them I was kidding. They laughed.
If I tell a team something wrong, I will apologize.

Our team had bad experience with a Head Ref. We were in another state, attending an in season robot event ( I won’t mention state or event). He seemed to have it in for us. We had our camera calibrated for the light in the gym. It started to get hot, so they opened some doors. The Head Ref would not let us recalibrate our camera, so some industrious students would take flags, signs etc and block then doors during our matches. The camera worked as advertised. The Hear Ref noticed this and told our team that if we did it again, he would disqualify us. We weren’t able to shoot accurately after that.
During the finals we were told we had to change bumpers. We were the second highest seed (1st seed lost) and had red bumpers on. We had to change to blue. Our lead mentor was on the last bumper and the Head Ref came by and told him that if he wasn’t on the field in 40 seconds, we would be disqualified.

11 Likes

Yup, that’s how the Key Volunteer meetings in Ontario are started each morning. Here’s the rest of it, which is read or paraphrased at these meetings.

It’s important for all volunteers to remember that the teams are FIRST’s customers and clients. A volunteer would never raise their voice to a VIP or a guest speaker; by that same token we should treat the students and mentors on teams with the same amount of respect. This event is about them and we always need to be kind, calm, and patient. As the leaders in our community, it’s important we set the right example for our fellow volunteers and also work to educate our newer volunteers about how important the team experience is; one bad experience for a team will last in their memories even if there are ten positive ones to offset.

49 Likes

This does wonders for team morale. I really wish more volunteers would do this, but I think the only ones who do are usually also mentors on FRC teams.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s definitely a tricky one. That’s why it’s best just to be a part of alliance 1 or 6. :grinning:

Alliance Playoff colors # of color changes in playoffs
1 RRR 0
2 RRB 1
3 RBB 1
4 RBR 2
5 BBR 1
6 BBB 0
7 BRB 2
8 BRR 1
5 Likes

A judge? A person in a blue shirt?

If this were the standard that was lived and practiced everywhere, I’m not sure there would be a need for this thread.

The occasional toxic behavior or “bad apple” volunteers, while by no means the norm at FRC events, really do a lot of harm to morale and enthusiasm. It’s troubling to me that more people in this thread seem focused on telling students and teams why their treatment was deserved, rather than trying to combat these kind of rude behaviors.

There are so many good volunteers that work hard to make teams happy. Why can’t these edge cases be dealt with somehow?

4 Likes

Yes.

I am color blind but not that color blind.

7 Likes

I’ve never had any problems with volunteers TBH, but I do get the pleasure of being in MAR which has the best volunteers ever.

5 Likes

Karthik nails it and a form of this statement should be made mandatory for all FIRST events.

As a Volunteer Coordinator for Ryerson the last two years I’ve learned a lot about managing volunteers and how hard of a job it can be. Luckily in Ontario, we have made a point of developing lead volunteers that are the same year over year and everyone can trust, I can personally say that every Lead Volunteer at Ryerson the last two years was a FIRST Ontario alumni and understood how we run events and understand the importance of treating teams and students with respect. This has made my job as Volunteer Coordinator much easier, and most of the issues I’ve had to deal with were from volunteers new to FIRST.

FIRST Canada does a great job of reaching out to alumni and training them to be future Lead Volunteers. I think having the experience of being a FIRST Student or mentor can help a lot in understanding the team experience.

3 Likes

This is definitely something that goes both way. My daughter volunteered as an usher at an event last year. Part of her job was keeping a certain area of the stands reserved for [some group I can’t remember]. She got a LOT of non-GP attitude from people for asking them to move, even though the section was clearly marked off.

1 Like

FYI per Inspection & Eligibility Rules "ROBOTS are permitted to participate in scheduled Practice MATCHES prior to passing Inspection. "