Those 5 minutes

Posted by Michael Huang at 2/8/2001 6:01 PM EST

Student on team #188, Woburn Robotics, from Woburn CI and Ontario Power Generation and Scotiabank.

How are most teams planning to spend their 5 minutes of negotiation time?

There must be time set aside to explain what each robot does and then time to resolve the general match strategy for each alliance and although arguements between alliances don’t make sense, I can see many erupting especially if two (or more) robots were functionally the same.

Ideas? Thoughts? Breakdown of the five minutes? They might be more important that the two minutes of playing time.

Posted by Tom at 2/8/2001 7:03 PM EST

Student on team #25, Raider Robotix, from North Brunswick Township High School and Bristol Myers-Squib.

In Reply to: Those 5 minutes
Posted by Michael Huang on 2/8/2001 6:01 PM EST:

: How are most teams planning to spend their 5 minutes of negotiation time?

I do not know what will happen during those 5 minutes, but I do know that the decisions made in that time will come from observations on each robot through some kind of database (public or private). Then from that a strtegy will be put together for each team to do what it does best on the field.

Posted by Bill Gold at 2/8/2001 8:59 PM EST

Student on team #258 from Lincoln High.

In Reply to: Re: Those 5 minutes
Posted by Tom on 2/8/2001 7:03 PM EST:

5 minutes? I thought it was two minutes like last year.

Posted by Josh Vetter at 2/8/2001 10:59 PM EST

Student on team #548, Robostangs, from Northville High School and BOSCH.

In Reply to: 5 minutes?
Posted by Bill Gold on 2/8/2001 8:59 PM EST:

That’s what I read in the Game Manual.
Josh Vetter

: 5 minutes? I thought it was two minutes like last year.

Posted by Chris at 2/9/2001 9:11 AM EST

Student on team #69, HYPER Team 69 Quincy Public Schools Gillette , from North Quincy High and The Gillette Company.

In Reply to: Re: 5 minutes?
Posted by Josh Vetter on 2/8/2001 10:59 PM EST:

You will probably only have two mineuts!

I think that there whould be one leader for each team that has a large concept of the robot! Have one person in charge and then convey them to the rest of the team! Dissision making is going to be key!

Posted by Michael Huang at 2/9/2001 3:19 PM EST

Student on team #188, Woburn Robotics, from Woburn CI and Ontario Power Generation and Scotiabank.

In Reply to: Re: 5 minutes?
Posted by Chris on 2/9/2001 9:11 AM EST:

: I think that there whould be one leader for each team that has a large concept of the robot! Have one person in charge and then convey them to the rest of the team! Dissision making is going to be key!

Yes but how is each captain on each team going to interact with the other captains in the alliance? Who gets to make the call on what each robot is doing? and how does the alliance decide?

Posted by Joe Ross at 2/8/2001 11:21 PM EST

Engineer on team #330, Beach Bot, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA/JPL , J&F Machine, and Raytheon.

In Reply to: 5 minutes?
Posted by Bill Gold on 2/8/2001 8:59 PM EST:

: 5 minutes? I thought it was two minutes like last year.

You are only guaranteed 2 mintutes. In almost all the matches you will get more than that. I figure that the average will be 4-5 minutes.

Posted by Chris Orimoto at 2/9/2001 12:29 AM EST

Student on team #368, Kika Mana, from McKinley High School and Nasa Ames/Hawaiian Electric/Weinberg Foundation.

In Reply to: Those 5 minutes
Posted by Michael Huang on 2/8/2001 6:01 PM EST:

Actually, I was hoping to put together a “scenario” for NEARLY every combination of bots based on numerous ability databases (already having a tentative plan before the action starts). This set of “blueprints” would be modified after the practice rounds (of course).

Then the 5 (or 2) minute period would be spent discussing possible strategies and informing the alliance of each robot’s capabilities. However, I would only ASSUME that most teams would be pretty up to date with each other’s abilities by the time the real competition gets underway.

Just my personal thoughts…

Chris, #368