Tipped robot

Rookie question here: what happens if a robot get tipped over? Does it get set back up? Is it out? What if one team knocks over another bot on accident? On purpose?

It just stays there till the end of the match. There is a penalty for purposefully doing such things.

The rules allow your alliance partner to try to help you back up. But with only 14" of appendage to work with this year, that possibility seems remote.

Also, your opponents are not allowed to touch you in the first 10 seconds you are down.

In ref training, we were reminded that dead robots can both score points and commit fouls.

As wireties said, a tipped robot will be left tipped for the rest of the match, unless it, or another robot, rights itself. I’m guessing the answer you’re looking for is, no, the event staff (referees, field techs, etc.) will not right a fallen robot. That would be dangerous.

Intentionally tipping a robot is illegal and will incur fouls (the exact fouls escape my mind now), but accidental tipping is “okay” (“okay” meaning not penalized, though not necessarily a nice thing to do). I believe if it is noticed that a robot repeatedly tips other robots, they may be called for egregious behavior (a yellow card, or a red card for continued occurance).

Hope this helps,
Leeland

Specifically, a technical foul & yellow card per G26.

Strategies aimed at the destruction or inhibition of Robots via attachment, damage, tipping or entanglement of Robots are not in the spirit of the FRC and are not allowed.
Violation: Technical-Foul plus Yellow Card

Unless the robot itself can re-right itself (if a robot could use its bridge tipper, for instance, to do so) or another robot can help it regain its position, the robot’s staying down. Per G30, there is a 10 second grace period following the tip where the opponent isn’t allowed to interfere with you.

Fallen (i.e. tipped over) Robots attempting to right themselves (either by themselves or with assistance from an Alliance partner) have one 10-second grace period per fallen Robot in which they may not be contacted by an opposing Robot. This protection lasts for either 10 seconds or until the protected Robots have completed the righting operation, whichever comes first.
Violation: Foul for inadvertent contact; Technical-Foul for obviously intentional contact.

Also take note of G24, which bans intentionally tipping over your own robot.

To add onto the question: If it’s after the 10 second grace period, can you attempt to right an opponent’s robot? You know, the whole GP thing.

Nothing specifically disallows that, but you have to watch out for things like contact inside the frame perimeter.

Illegal, as per [G27]:

Deliberate or damaging contact with an opponent Robot on or inside its Frame Perimeter is not allowed.
Violation: Technical-Foul and potential Yellow Card

Unless you can right the opponent purely through their bumpers and apendages, the rules disallow this. It’s a toss up as to whether the refs would actually call it though. While I think they probably wouldn’t let the rules interfere with GP, righting a robot without its owners’ consent is not an ok thing to do. You could damage the 'bot even more, especially depending upon the style manipulator you use to do the righting and what you ‘determine’ is a structural component of their bot. On your own alliance, the fallen can actually talk and direct the righter and stop them if necessary, while no such communication exists among opponents.

Don’t do it unless you know for sure everybody’s OK with it.

Protip: You’ll never know for sure who’s OK with it.

if your robot does tip, and there’s no hope of righting it within the 10 seconds, E-STOP IT not doing so might result in a penalty towards your alliance

Bad choice. Hitting the E-stop for a non-safety hazard (robot tips over) would likely result in a technical foul.

In seasons past, this would have been acceptable. The rule changed last year I believe, and continued into this year.

[G35]
If a Robot becomes unsafe (e.g. the Robot begins to smoke, the battery falls out, etc.) it may be disabled for the remainder of the Match by any player by pressing the E-Stop button. The E-Stop buttons are intended for remote shutdown in the event of safety hazards and will not otherwise affect Match score or duration.
Violation: Technical-Foul if used for any other reason.

Make sure you ask this question in the drivers meeting.

A good argument can be made that once you give up righting a tipped robot, disabling it is the safe thing to do. So E stopping a tipped over robot should not be against the rules. To my way of thinking, using the e stop should never be almost never penalized. Maybe the actions just prior can carry the heavy penalty to prevent a team from stopping a robot in a critical area. Or a team obviously using the estop solely for an competitive advantage.

Do not confuse my thoughts with official interpretation of the rules.

If you really want to e-stop your robot if it tips over, design it so the battery falls out in such circumstances. Then again, it might fall out at other times too.

While there is a penalty for tipping a robot on purpose, a defending bot could still play very aggressive defense that causes the opposing robot to tip. In my experience, refs don’t call it intentional very often. The best strategy is to not have a high center of gravity and watch out for getting hit when on bridges or crossing the barrier.

(No offense is directed at you.) We got red-carded at Champs last year for E-Stopping our robot when we lost driver control and it started visibly deforming a lane divider. Don’t E-Stop unless it’s obvious and absolutely necessary.

I feel like there must be more to this story than that. It seems like losing driver control is a very good use for the E-stop button, maybe that’s not what the head referee saw?

I agree, at minimum try to get the FTA during the match if something like that happens. Also talk to the head ref. after the match.

No argument from me, but the rules are pretty clear against that interpretation.

No argument from me, but the rules are pretty clear against that interpretation.

[rant mode]
Industrially Estops are not used for normal stopping of machines. But they are used when a machine is not in its normal operating parameters. Including situations that are not inherently dangerous, but might damage the machine.

First makes a big deal out of safety, as it should. They have UL safety inspectors running around. Teams come up with safety buttons, band aides, and stickers almost to the nuisance point. Penalizing people for using e-stops to prevent potential equipment damage goes against this philosophy and is poorly though out.

[/rant mode]