To a new year

Well, as in the new year, here is our prototype for our new site.

http://www.anime-stop.com/hartrobot.jpg

Tell me whatcha think.

• Ryan Waliany

looks great! what would be even greater is if u make the top left robot an animated gif with the blue light actually being on and rotating; should be possible to do although it has to be faked with photoshop or something like that

*Originally posted by rwaliany *
**Well, as in the new year, here is our prototype for our new site.

http://www.anime-stop.com/hartrobot.jpg

Tell me whatcha think.

• Ryan Waliany **
    This is an excellent site. As for suggestions:

Use something beside a <hr> to seperate the page description from the page content. Also, don’t completely change the color of the divider, but rather make it lighter or darker than the background on the page… the red is stabbing my eyes. If you grouped your pages in tables, then the contrasting color would work. Normally I would have something to say about the gradient you have going around the content area of your site, but I guess it’ll just have to stay… that way. I have grown to not like making my fonts a black color. I now tend to use a dark hue of another color (usually grey). Thats it for now, I guess.

Use something beside a <hr> to seperate the page description from the page content.

Maybe he should try using css to seperate the page description form the page content.

That looks great.

Who did the graphics?

Also, you can just do a gif w/ the color changing lights (not sure how easy it can be, but if you want i can attempt it for you).

Note the file extension, it’s just a photoshop markup. But thanks for the comments, I wasn’t going to really use an hr for the divider, atleast without css. Ah yes, me and my friend created it.

**Note the file extension, it’s just a photoshop markup. But thanks for the comments, I wasn’t going to really use an hr for the divider, atleast without css. Ah yes, me and my friend created it. **
Don’t even use a divider at all, just… change the color–darker grey for the description, and a lighter one for the rest of the page.

*Originally posted by piotrm *
**looks great! what would be even greater is if u make the top left robot an animated gif with the blue light actually being on and rotating; should be possible to do although it has to be faked with photoshop or something like that **

One other way you can do it (other then gif) is to have about 10 photos that are all the same except for the light on and then place the in an order to where when payed back one after the other with no pause (maybe a flash type pic) it looks like one pic with the light on and spinning/flashing.
~Mike

basically though its a great page.

*Originally posted by dez250 *
**One other way you can do it (other then gif) is to have about 10 photos that are all the same except for the light on and then place the in an order to where when payed back one after the other with no pause (maybe a flash type pic) it looks like one pic with the light on and spinning/flashing.
~Mike

basically though its a great page. **

Or do some work in flash (do the same thing as I said, but instead of making it a gif file, make a flash file).

*Originally posted by piotrm *
**looks great! what would be even greater is if u make the top left robot an animated gif with the blue light actually being on and rotating; should be possible to do although it has to be faked with photoshop or something like that **

here is an extremely crude example of what i meant by the animated gif thing : http://users.wpi.edu/~piotrm/first/hart_example/hart_anim_example_001.gif as i said its very crude an not very detailed; but i hope you get the idea

good luck

Honestly, I think the animation would be distracting… Maybe its just me, but I’d have severe difficulties with just reading the content.

Animation is nice on… yes, animations. But when I’m trying to read all it does is kill my attention span.

I believe you can make the HR be colored red through CSS, but it requires multiple properties (I think IE/Opera/Gecko each have seperate properties that determine color, such as color, background and i THINK border…)

Hope you aren’t even considering using tables for this layout. :stuck_out_tongue:

PS: great site design.

*Originally posted by HFWang *
**Honestly, I think the animation would be distracting… Maybe its just me, but I’d have severe difficulties with just reading the content.

Animation is nice on… yes, animations. But when I’m trying to read all it does is kill my attention span.

I believe you can make the HR be colored red through CSS, but it requires multiple properties (I think IE/Opera/Gecko each have seperate properties that determine color, such as color, background and i THINK border…)

Hope you aren’t even considering using tables for this layout. :stuck_out_tongue:

PS: great site design. **

I forgot the tags (like noshadow, size for hr), but you can set the color for both the light and dark end. Search for it on google or something.

edit: I just remembered that there was a thread on changing the horizontal rule colors. search the board, i know it’s somewhere.

Umm. why would one not use tables for this layout. I despise frames, iframes, and such. Yes, it’s quite simple to change colors of hrs through css for ie/mozilla/etc… they all have the same properties to set. I would assume that opera/gecko are using w3 standards from what I was told IE/Mozilla are using them. It’s rather simple for those interested, I pattern all my layouts in this sense for themes:
<head>
<title>Hi</title>
<style>
td {color:#000000;font-family:Helvetica;font-size:11px;font-weight:bold}
font {color:#336699;font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px}
hr {color:#990000;size:1px}
</style>
</head>

Or one could use a style sheet, if they prefer and use link rel.

If you wonder why I use px instead of pt, it’s a more friendly conversion to other operating systems other than windows (Linux).

Here’s a link to an outline of our content and information systems we are adding.

http://xp.scv.net/robot.html

Suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

Umm. why would one not use tables for this layout. I despise frames, iframes, and such. Yes, it’s quite simple to change colors of hrs through css for ie/mozilla/etc… they all have the same properties to set. I would assume that opera/gecko are using w3 standards from what I was told IE/Mozilla are using them…

Actually, the Windows version of IE is not totally W3-compliant. Neither is Gecko, or MoZilla (MoZilla is more than IE is though). Atleast that is just what I read.

I already gave you my suggestions but just wanted to say to Ryan keep up the good work and thanks everyone else for the suggestions to the team website. Here’s to another year of a regional award winning website! :slight_smile:

I wish I could re-design the site (all well, I might though pretty soon).

It looks good, so far, and I don’t know if you caught this yet, but the ‘Sponsor’ button is spelled wrong—shouldn’t be hard to fix. Good luck, and great site!

Umm. why would one not use tables for this layout. I despise frames, iframes, and such.

I never said anything about frames…

I meant html that just looked like

<body>
<div id="header>
<h1>This is a header</h1>
</div>

<div id=“navigation”>
<ul><li>Link 1</li><li>Link 2</li></ul>
</div>

<div id=“content”>
<p>Content paragraph…</p>
<p>Another paragraph…</p>
</div>
</body>

Also, the W3C didn’t standardize EVERYTHING. So the browsers were forced to figure out how stuff like color or padding apply to things like horizontal rules, or how about a <br> tag?! And thus, we have the situation where we have multiple things for multiple browsers. http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=HorizontalLine
is the simplest solution i’ve found so far though.

*Originally posted by HFWang *
**…Also, the W3C didn’t standardize EVERYTHING. So the browsers were forced to figure out how stuff like color or padding apply to things like horizontal rules, or how about a <br> tag?! And thus, we have the situation where we have multiple things for multiple browsers. http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=HorizontalLine
is the simplest solution i’ve found so far though. **

A standard <br> tag I think is <br /> (it is for XHTML anyways).

What that has to do with styling things in CSS escapes me, but yes, in xhtml, you need to properly close everything.