To: Soap108 Re: videos

First of all, big kudos to Soap for their invaluable resource for scouting. I’ve really enjoyed being able to pick individual matches from Ohio and Annapolis (And now Florida) to watch whenever. It’s a fantastic site.

But what happened this week? You’ve changed the video download page to be less convienient - now I can only watch one video at a time, and I can’t save them on my hard drive for watching later (I think).

If you did this to cut down on bandwidth costs, then, by all means, keep it the way it is, but if it’s flashy design for flash’s sake, please consider re-enabling the video download the way it was before.

That is, of course, unless I’m overruled by the peanut gallery. :slight_smile:

What?! Can’t download the vids? Oh no! That’s the only way I can watch them. Please change it back.

-Joel

You can still watch them in a browser window, but you can’t save them.

*Originally posted by verdeyw *
**but you can’t save them. **

sure you can.

I’m not going to say how, though, because I’m not sure if soap108 wants me to.

*Originally posted by Brandon Martus *
**sure you can.

I’m not going to say how, though, because I’m not sure if soap108 wants me to. **

i found out how too :slight_smile:

Guys, it’s easy.

Also, what Mach was it that 1184 caught on fire?

Busy, busy, busy at this regional!!!

There is also no ffwd or rewind in place yet.

Yes, This does help save some bandwidth…

We’ll allow for previous format in due time…

Thanks,
KA-108 :cool:

Thanks for the response.

Good luck in Florida!

The Alliance selection video is corrupted, please fix… we really want to see the part where we get picked! :smiley:

First off I want to say thank you for all of SOAP’s hard work on making a good database of videos

However I am quite confused on why you chose only be able to stream your videos and not be able to download and save them if you wish. The buffering times are extremely long, and it only waste bandwidth you if wish to re-place the match. Also be able to scroll through the match is very hard too.

Last year you used Quicktime and the MotionJPEGB Codec as the primary video. Which was good but extremely long to download.

I was wondering why you just coudln’t make .avi or .mov (instead of .asf) MPEG-4 movies so it would be easier than to stream the video.

THANK YOU SOAP FOR PROVIDING VIDEOS!
I looked everywhere for footage of the matches, and was relieved to see that Soap had clips. You guys rock!

Whats all the hoopla over soap? Am I doing something wrong? I only see 3 regionals posted on soap, and you can’t watch without continual buffering.
Ok so now you can download them, Who changed that while I wasn’t looking.
I thought someone was sending them video’s to post.

Someone post/PM me the link to the Soap site, will you?

www.soap108.com

or robotics.nasa.gov links to them. just look in the archives section.

*Originally posted by Joel Glidden *
**What?! Can’t download the vids? Oh no! That’s the only way I can watch them. Please change it back.

-Joel **

That’s the same for me, I have the same problem. If I can get the ActiveX controls fixed, I’ll be fine. One thing though, I don’t know how to change the settings. Help!!!

*Originally posted by soap108 *
**Busy, busy, busy at this regional!!!

There is also no ffwd or rewind in place yet.

Yes, This does help save some bandwidth…

We’ll allow for previous format in due time…

Thanks,
KA-108 :cool: **

Do you care if people share how to download the videos without your old interface? If you have a problem with it then please feel free to deny this, but I think some people would like to download them. After all it isn’t difficult.

Here’s the idea we’re going with for now:

During a LiVE event (such as MotoMidwest right now) we’re going to change all the movie pages to the TV screen. However, the LiVE event will have a download button or a link to the old listing.

After the event is over, we’ll change all the pages back to the straight listing.

If you know how to by-pass the TV screen, more power to ya, just keep it to yourself.

Fair enough?

KA-108 :cool:

Whats all the hoopla over soap? Am I doing something wrong? I only see 3 regionals posted on soap, and you can’t watch without continual buffering.

The Hoopla over soap is that to this day, i haven’t found another team that has provided videos of the 2003 compeptition on their website. That makes soap’s website an extremely useful resource for other teams. I know it sure did help us out, because we didn’t take much video.

Thanks a lot.

And way to go on getting the Midwest webcast, thus ending the FIRST tradition of people being unable to see the regionals that they realllllly want to see.