torque motor

Posted by Paul at 2/2/2001 10:16 PM EST

Student on team #115 from Monta Vista.

anyone know what we are supposed to use to connect the torque motor to the speed controller

Posted by Anton Abaya at 2/3/2001 1:04 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

In Reply to: torque motor
Posted by Paul on 2/2/2001 10:16 PM EST:

: anyone know what we are supposed to use to connect the torque motor to the speed controller

am i right? i think a speed controller is overkill for a torque motor. and isnt that motor just a big servo anyway?

-anton

Posted by Travis Covington at 2/3/2001 2:13 AM EST

Student on team #115, MV ROBOTICS, from Monta Vista High School and Hitachi Data Systems - 3com - NASA Ames.

In Reply to: i thought it was to a relay?
Posted by Anton Abaya on 2/3/2001 1:04 AM EST:

yah thats right…paul is wonderin what wires we connect it with because it is like a big servo with degree settings

but we dont know what wire to use…the pwm is not the correct one but we cant find anything else

please help

Posted by Kai Zhao at 2/3/2001 11:24 AM EST

Student on team #686, Botler & Associates, from Linganore High School, Frederick MD and NASA/GFSC and Smiths Industries.

In Reply to: torque motor
Posted by Paul on 2/2/2001 10:16 PM EST:

: anyone know what we are supposed to use to connect the torque motor to the speed controller

We tried the torque motor by cutting the male end of the PWM cable. The naked (cut) end will go to a relay (or speed) controller. The female end will go to the motor. The motor has the 5 pin connector labeled +/-. Send the proper polarity through the PWM cable to the torque motor using 2 out of 3 wires on the PWM cable.

A speed controller is not nessicary because the torque motor moves at about 1.5 degrees per second. That means it will take about half the match for the motor to move its full rotation. Anyway, I believe I got this information from team update 4 or 5 and we tested it.