Total number of staged game pieces

5.1.1 is bugging me. Can someone please post the 24 staged game pieces staged on each side of the field? I’ve read through the manual multiple times, so I’m not looking for long explanation of what goes where. I know where every piece starts. I just can’t come up with 24. The FIELD is defined as the 27 by 54 foot playing area, so don’t include anything behind the alliance wall in your explanation. I keep getting 25, so am I adding something I shouldn’t be and missing something else? I’ve tried to parse the rules as written and was short, so then I added parts E and F but the closest I can get to 24 is when I do this:

There are 2 Hatch Panels in the Loading Stations, 12 Cargo in the Depots, 3 cargo/panels pre-loaded on the robots, 2 Cargo staged in each alliance facing cargo ship bay, and 6 cargo/panels pre-polulated in the cargo ship bays. That’s 25.

Thanks!

The full text is as follows:

Twenty-four (24) GAME PIECES are staged on each side of the FIELD for each MATCH as follows:
A. one (1) HATCH PANEL is loaded in each of the two (2) LOADING STATIONS,
B. six (6) CARGO are staged in each of the two (2) DEPOTS,
C. each of the three (3) teams may preload one (1) HATCH PANEL or one (1) CARGO in their
ROBOT such that it is fully supported by that ROBOT, and
D. remaining HATCH PANELS (quantity 19-22, depending on decisions made in C) and CARGO
(quantity 9-12, depending on decisions made in C) are staged in the corresponding ALLIANCE
STATIONS, split evenly (or off by one if an odd remainder) between the GAME PIECE Holders

So for the hatches, two are preloaded in each loading station and the rest are either held by the robots or placed in the alliance station.
As for the cargo, 12 are placed 2x6 in the depots and up to 3 are held by robots. The remaining 9-12 are in the alliance station.
Note that the alliance station is included in the 24 per game piece count and the next paragraph does not deal with the same 24 game piece count, which is where the confusion is from I believe

(e: formatting)

The only way I can make this make sense is if there are 24 of EACH game piece. The paragraph is confusing since they start of stating 24 GAME PIECES instead of saying 24 HATCHES and 24 CARGO.

24 HATCH PANELS -
1 loaded in each loading station (2)
1 possibly loaded in each robot (0-3)
remaining hatch panels (19-22 depending on how many loaded in robots)

24 CARGO -
1 possibly loaded in each robot (0-3)
6 staged in each depot (12)
remaining hatch panels (9-12 depending on how many loaded in robots)

1 Like

I think that’s what they meant, there are several missing words or words that seem out of place throughout the manual and this may just be one of them. As I understand the game piece breakdown it’s 24 of each, 24 cargo and 24 hatches

The point I’m not following is the capitalized FIELD. By definition that does not include the alliance station. I agree there are a total of 24 of EACH game piece for each alliance. I want someone to tell me the 24 game pieces that are staged on each side of the field per 5.1.1.
Twenty-four (24) GAME PIECES are staged on each side of the FIELD for each MATCH as follows:

They certainly could have written this in a less confusing way! Here’s how I understand it:

• Each side of the field has available a total of 24 hatch panels, 32 cargo, and 6 null hatch panels.
  • 24 hatch panels are placed before the match: 1 in each loading station, 0-3 in robots, and the rest split between the left and right sides of the alliance station.
  • 24 cargo are placed before the match: 6 in each depot, 0-3 in robots, and the rest split between the left and right sides of the alliance station.
  • 0-6 null panels are placed in the cargo ship. Any that aren’t placed are not used in that match.
  • 2-8 additional cargo are placed in the cargo ship (the front two bays, and any other bays that don’t have null panels). Any that aren’t placed are not used in that match.

Ugg, they tried and still failed to fix 5.1.1 in the game manual. They added the words “of each”, but kept the word FIELD. “Twenty-four (24) of each GAME PIECE are staged on each side of the FIELD for each MATCH as follows”. Per the rules after I stage all the GAME PIECES listed in A-F apparently I get to keep staging them until I have 24 of each on each side of the FIELD lol.

FIELD: a 27 ft. (~823 cm) by 54 ft. (~1646 cm) carpeted area bound by and including the inward-facing surfaces of the guardrails, inward-facing surfaces of the ALLIANCE WALLS. It is populated with ROCKETS, CARGO SHIPS, HAB PLATFORMS, DEPOTS, and LOADING STATIONS

there will be one or two game pieces staged on the field: cargo, and hatch panels if null hatches are placed

I don’t think that use of the word FIELD necessarily requires that they be inside the field walls. As a counterpoint, I give the example sentence: “2 balls are placed on each side of the WALL.” No one would read that as requiring the balls to be placed on top of the wall itself. So it’s not unreasonable to use “on each side of the FIELD” and include the elements placed in the driver area. It’s a looser usage than the rest of the paragraph, though, and still written in a very hard-to-parse manner.

WALL is not a defined term in the glossary, so I’m unsure why you capitalized it. The point of the capitalized words is that you should be able to use the glossary definition. I’m sure they’ll fix it eventually. All they need to do is change the word FIELD to CENTER LINE and it would be correct.

Yay!!! They must read CD and could sense my frustration haha. Team update 3 finally fixed the wording :slight_smile:

“Twenty-four (24) of each GAME PIECE are staged on each side of the ARENA for each MATCH as follows:”

2 Likes