Toughbox Mini wear in

I was planning on completing the recommended wear in on the gearboxes for the kit chassis tomorrow and my original thought was to use the control system and use code to run it for 30 minutes but I was concerned about the battery dying. My next idea was to wire each set of 2 CIMs straight into their own battery but I still have some concerns of the battery dropping to low or something else happening. So, I was wondering how other teams wear in their gearboxes before they grease them?

(Side note: even though there isn’t any load should I be concerned about the heat of the CIMs)

Free current: 2.7 amps
add safety factor, say it’s 5 amps. Times 4 motors, 20 amps
20 amps draw from a 17.2 amp hour battery will give you under an hour which is long enough.

Use a 12V car battery if you’re really so inclined.

That’s assuming you don’t have something wrong in your drivetrain, of course. What you could do is start up all the motors, then check how much current each motor is drawing or the aggregate current the PDP is sourcing. Create a PowerDistributionPanel object and call GetTotalCurrent on it. You can use that current to calculate how much run time you should get out of a battery.

Also, no. Unless one of the CIMs is pulling more than 20 Amps or something, you’re unlikely to damage it, even running it for 30 minutes.

Or if you’re working out if a school your science department probably owns an AC-DC converter you can set to 12V for unlimited power. If not, it’s a pretty useful investment for bench top testing.

A portable power supply that can do 30ish amps continous probably won’t be the easiest thing to find in a high school science lab, most are around 5A@12v.

The best option for a corded setup is probably to purchase an obsolete or used server power supply, many capable of supplying 100A+ through the 12V rail are available on eBay for cheap.

Just keep an eye on it every few minutes, and change it once it gets low. If you are running just one gearbox on a bench under no load, you shouldn’t need more than two batteries, and if you keep an eye on it, you won’t drain a battery past acceptable levels.

In the past we’ve pretty much guessed on this so what is the actual level you should let a battery drain to?

If you have a Battery Beak, what I would do is stop the test every 5 minutes and check the battery with it. Should give you a nice percentage reading. I’d say change the battery when the beak reads 50% or so; it’s better to not let these batteries fully discharge.

If you don’t have a Battery Beak, I’d really recommend one. $80 is a small price to pay for complete insurance against accidentally going into a match with a bad battery that appears to be charged but is actually in poor condition.