Train Wrecks

Posted by Dodd Stacy.

Engineer on team #95, Lebanon Robotics Team, from Lebanon High School and CRREL/CREARE.

Posted on 1/13/2000 1:44 PM MST

I predict that we are going to see absolutely awesome head on collisions right at the peak of the ramp, with the 28 degree included angle and plenty of room to get up a head of steam. First bot over the peak gets launched by the one coming in opposite underneath. How do we interpret DQ3, DQ4, and DQ12 vis-a-vis designing and operating to minimize the odds that it’s our bot that takes flying lessons? (ie: the opponent wins that honor?) Are the folks who get to show how robust their machine is in this situation going to cry foul? This is sort of tipping by another name, but I don’t see any way to avoid the situation occuring. GM21 says ‘shoving will be allowed, .quite common,…run into each other at full speed…’ It’s the inclusion of the ramp angle that will give shoving a whole new meaning, along with the ramp edge for falling off of. What do others think about this kinder, gentler aspect of the new game? I like it!

Dodd

Posted by Justin.

Other on team Blue Lightning Alum from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Posted on 1/13/2000 2:09 PM MST

In Reply to: Train Wrecks posted by Dodd Stacy on 1/13/2000 1:44 PM MST:

Agreed!

The ramp and all the issues it presents are a fairly large ball of wax. There’s the potential for the head-ons like you mentioned. Then you have the teams who will try to block people from getting over the ramp and the teams who just sort of blow through them with their tank like robots. Then there is the whole issue of the ‘pendulum effect’ if your hanging on that middle bar and some team comes up and hits you’re gonna go for a nice little ride. Should be fun I can’t wait to see how some of these issue are handled on the field.

-Justin

Posted by Raul.

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Posted on 1/13/2000 8:58 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: The Ramp…a big ball of wax posted by Justin on 1/13/2000 2:09 PM MST:

Yeah, and since you have to pack your robot to be shipped at 5:00 that evening, you may have to just pick up all the pieces and throw them together in the crate. Then you can try to get your robot working at the next competition.

Make plenty of indentical spare parts.

Raul