Training scheduleing

Does anyone have any good published schedules for when to do things, like training. Our mentor says he doesnt want to have any work done on the robot by new members until they take a safety test but says he wont have it done until november, is it generally considered a good or bad idea to wait this long? Also, what do you guys do to train new members? I have it narrowed down that training days should be smaller, with only a few recruits working on any of task to keep them busy and give them the hands on work they require, and I have a place we can do that, but its hammering out what to actually do there is my issue.

My best guess would be to have 2-3 members (interested in building) take apart our training bot and put it together again, while another member (interested in programming) is walked through how to start/compile/deploy code, and another 2 members are shown how to put together the control board. The problem with this plan is it excludes any highly technical tasks like design/engineering and the actual programming process.

I have been looking into doing a lot of extra work, putting together example projects that the team will be able to reference after this year when I’m gone, but my ideas of training neglect any drilling/cutting and I think thats a problem.

Our training process is extremely involved, taking up the entire fall program. We believe in a very hands-on approach, and treating it just like the build season - in other words, have a project!

Here are the projects we plan on doing this fall:

• Redesign and build a new bridge tipper, with an integrated ball gatherer.
  • Rebuild the electrical board for an old robot for use in demos
  • Completely rewrite last the code for last year’s robot (hopefully, this will go hand in hand with Beta testing)

Initial safety training and a quick “how to” on tools is usually done at the first meeting. After that, all tool use is heavily supervised, with additional demonstrations and assistance as needed for the new students.

We find that having a project that mimics what we would do during the build season is the best way to get all the members both comfortable with the tools, and familiar with our processes.