Tricks getting the CRIO to talk to laptop

Hello,

Are there any tricks to get the cRIO to talk to the laptop for re-imaging? I have set the IP address/subnet on the laptop as 10.0.0.6/255.0.0.0 with a crossover cable to cRIO’s port 1. The FRC cRIO Imaging Tool will not recognize the cRIO. The Imaging Tool saw the device once but disconnected before our students could finish settingss the options.

Any help would be much appericated. We are going to try again tomorrow night.

Thank you,
Matt
2108 - Mentor

Are you getting the message “No CompactRIO devices were found. Verify the network connection.” when you run the tool or some other error? Are you able to ping the cRIO (10.0.0.2 if it hasn’t been imaged yet)? Do you have a firewall which could be interfering with the connection?

Just to narrow down the possibilities:

Does the network connection on the laptop work for other things?

Does the network cable work?

If the laptop has a wireless network adapter, are you certain you didn’t accidentally configure it with the 10.0.0.6 address instead of the adapter with the wired (RJ45) port?

Yes, We are getting the “No CompactRIO devices were found” message. I was able to ping 10.0.02 and there is no firewall on the laptop.

I removed the wireless card before configuring the IP Address. I also uninstall IBM’s Access Connection utility since it didn’t like the static IP addresss.

The network cable should work since it is the one that came in the early KOP. I have tried multiple cables but a ping should verify the cable working.

Do we have to run the imaging program at a certain time of the cRIO’s boot-up process? or does it have to be fully booted?

The tool should be run when the cRIO is fully booted. It’s troublesome that you can ping the cRIO but the imaging tool can’t find it. Do you have a null modem cable available to connect to the serial port on the cRIO? If so, please toggle the “Console Out” dip switch on and connect a terminal to see if maybe something is wrong with your cRIO.

Also, please check if you can see your cRIO in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX). Go to Start -> Programs -> National Instruments -> Measurement & Automation. Your cRIO should show up under “Remote Systems”.

What is the IP address of you Windows Computer? Sounds like your Windows machine is on a different subnet.

Configuring Component IP Addresses

Hello,

I’ve finished downloading the updates to the driver station, the Router, The Game adapter settings, and the cRio. Everything communicates in the wired settings with the team number, but the cRio is not being seen through the Game Adapter. ( Ping 10.15.23.2). Anyone else have this issue and how did you overcome it?

The serial port output of the cRio shows the correct IP address and also sees the camera at 192.168.0.90.

I can ping all the other items from the chart on 6 of 17 in Chapter 5, but not the cRio or the camera plugged into it. Any suggestions?

I’m using the short black RJ45 cable to talk to the cRio.

Thanks for your help.
Jim E.

If you plug the cRIO into the WRT (router) directly from cRIo port 1 can you ping the cRIO? If you are attempting wireless from the WRT to the WGA, your security setting may be misaligned. In the case of the WRT and the WGA, they need to be either both configured to security disabled (not recommended) or set the security settings (WPA2) on the WGA to the same as the WRT. You will have to plug the WGA into the PC or WRT directly to get access to the configuration page. The manual does not cover the security settings.

Can you browse to the cRIO’s wireless bridge (WGA) from your PC?
(http://10.15.23.2)
That’ll tell you if the security settings are good or not.

Hello,

OK. I think the security settings may be wrong, I will check that, but it brings up an interesting dilemma.

How is FIRST going to control the robots on the field if everyone has a unique security code over the WAN? There has to be some standard in place. This is not a public internet connection so the security is not too big of an issue. I suppose FIRST is expecting a universal link with GP taking precedence over team security concerns…

Thank you all for your replies.

We were able to re-image the cRIO. When we tried the first time, we did not have the laptop plugged into the driver station.