Trimming zip ties, the natural way

So I was out at the park downtown today and noticed that nature itself has already invented a way to trim zip ties. No need to buy those expensive and non-carbon-neutral wire cutters when you can just use one of these!

I was walking up the stairs to a barrier, and saw someone, who I shall name Zippy, playing with some zip ties on the bottom of it.

After I watched for a minute, Zippy popped around the corner, so I went to investigate.

Not a clean cut, but a much better job than I’ve seen some robotics team members do. But What about Zippy? Let’s check around the corner…

50 Likes

awhhhh that’s actually so cute

IMG_2613

Not too long after this, Zippy realized that it wasn’t a nutritious treat, discarded it someplace, and proceeded to do other squirrelly things.

30 Likes

I’ll take 3.

1 Like

And this is how plastics end up in our food chain :frowning:

9 Likes

UP-squirrel-dog-animated-gif

2 Likes

This is, perhaps, the best argument i’ve seen against a limited build season. I know those late-season meetings can be long, but I’ve never looked at a squirrel and thought…

That said, if we’re using squirrels to trim our zip ties, does that mean we need to make them little team t-shirts so they can be official members of team for BOM purposes?

8 Likes

I like where you’re going with this.

2 Likes

I was trying to figure out how get Zippy to drop the unhealthy “lunch” but Zippy thankfully figured it out.

I Google to see if I could find a squirrel in a little t-shirt, but found this instead, which seems to take it to another level:

1 Like

23/26; Only missing J, V, X.

Better yet, just make your entire team squirrels instead of humans.

1 Like

Okay, this topic deserves a few thousand upvotes.

You’ll need current rabies tags.

Before modern mammals, birds and reptiles were used.

7 Likes

I went back today, and the other long zip tie was completely gone. No sign of Zippy this evening, though.

I may need to see if I can invest in some organic (acorn-flavored?) zip ties to strategically place for the Myriad Garden squirrels.

4 Likes

Phat Gus

10 Likes

Based upon the video evidence it’s clear that the squirrel was using the tie strap as either a toothpick, a toothbrush, or both.

You may have been witness to an evolutionary breakthrough, which could eventually lead to…

4 Likes

I used to be a cable tv guy and for some reason, squirrels seem to really like plastic.

I was told (circa 1980s) that the phone companies studied this phenomena and came up empty on a clear solution. Maybe that’s changed in modern times but all I know is I replaced a lot of wire.

4 Likes

One more Zippy action shot:
IMG_2622

15 Likes

Don’t forget squirrel safety glasses if they’re gonna trim ties on the 'bot, while in the pits, etc.