trouble...

Posted by Rob DeCotiis at 03/03/2001 3:45 PM EST

Student on team #504, RoBUCtics, from Red Bank Regional High School and Jesel.

My team has one scene of our animation done, and it’s due on the 12th… it’s gonna take 2 days to render it and guess what? we’re expecting 25 " of snow… should we go to school and get snowed in or worry about our health and not finish the animation??? HELP!!!

Posted by Kevin Sevcik at 03/04/2001 12:41 AM EST

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

In Reply to: trouble…
Posted by Rob DeCotiis on 03/03/2001 3:45 PM EST:

If it really looks like you have no chance of finishing the animation in time for the competition, then here’s my suggestion as a fellow animator:
Don’t. Don’t rush out a product that’s half finished, looks bad, and doesn’t have much of a chance of winning. Here’s what you do instead. Take your time, and finish the animation right. Do a good job on it. Then, your assignment for the summer and next fall is to take that animation around, and find some professionals to sponsor and mentor your animation team next year. There’s all kinds of places you can look, local TV stations always have some animators. There’s bound to be computer graphics company in your city that makes commercials. Failing that, at least look for some place that has tons of computers that they’ll let you render on.
Believe me, if you’re still on scene 1 with 10 days to go, you’re not going to turn out a quality product. I know, cause I’ve been in that position twice already. If you take an extra few weeks or a month, and make a good animation, you’ll have a good chance of getting a sponsor for next year and turning out a much better animation.