Trying to use NetMeeting -- Anybody used it.

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 8/7/2000 8:48 PM MST

Hi all,

A few of us at our team have been looking at NetMeeting as a means of communication and colaboration.

Has anybody used it?

We can get the chat, white board, file sharing and application sharing bit working but we have struck out on the video and sound bits.

Has anyone had any success?

Microsoft is sort of making folks get a hotmail account to use it without logging on to a netmeeting server (where I have heard that a lot of folks bother you asking to join your meeting for… …let’s just say ‘unsavory’ activities :wink:

Anyway, I have a hotmail account and I will try to login to MSN’s Messager Service when I am online. You should be able to find me by name ‘Joseph Johnson’ or by hotmail e-mail address ‘drjoe047@hotmail.com’ by the way, don’t send me mail there, I don’t check it.

Anyone who wants to install NetMeeting 3.01 & try to have a video conference or a voice conversation, I am all ears (and eyes).

Joe J.

Posted by Jon.

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Posted on 8/8/2000 9:39 PM MST

In Reply to: Trying to use NetMeeting – Anybody used it. posted by Joe Johnson on 8/7/2000 8:48 PM MST:

I’ve done a one on one video conference… worked fine. we played with the other features just to test them… i’ve never tried a multiperson video though…

ion2002@hotmail.com

Posted by Anthony Xu.

Other on team #188, Blizzard, from Woburn Collegiate Institute and Ontario Power Generation.

Posted on 8/9/2000 9:49 AM MST

In Reply to: Trying to use NetMeeting – Anybody used it. posted by Joe Johnson on 8/7/2000 8:48 PM MST:

If your’re having trouble connecting, why don’t you find someone/someplace (like your high school) that has a static ip.
Just set up a netmeeting there and if anyone wants to join, instead of connecting to one of Microsoft’s Netmeeting servers they can connect to this static ip instead. That’s how I usually connect with netmeeting.
Of course, they’ll have to memorize this static ip, or you can post it somewhere on your webpage or something.

Anthony

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 8/9/2000 10:03 AM MST

: Hi all,

: A few of us at our team have been looking at NetMeeting as a means of communication and colaboration.

: Has anybody used it?

: We can get the chat, white board, file sharing and application sharing bit working but we have struck out on the video and sound bits.

: Has anyone had any success?

: Microsoft is sort of making folks get a hotmail account to use it without logging on to a netmeeting server (where I have heard that a lot of folks bother you asking to join your meeting for… …let’s just say ‘unsavory’ activities :wink:

: Anyway, I have a hotmail account and I will try to login to MSN’s Messager Service when I am online. You should be able to find me by name ‘Joseph Johnson’ or by hotmail e-mail address ‘drjoe047@hotmail.com’ by the way, don’t send me mail there, I don’t check it.

: Anyone who wants to install NetMeeting 3.01 & try to have a video conference or a voice conversation, I am all ears (and eyes).

: Joe J.

As fas as I know from my experience with it, you cannot send video/audio to more than one person in a conference. In the 2.0 version, you could select which of the people in the conference you wanted to send video to, but with the release of 3.0, this feature was phased out for some reason…

Nate