Tubing In Autodesk

Hi!

I searched but I couldn’t find anything, so here is my question: let’s say I draw an outline in Autodesk Inventor (for a bike or such), and I then want to create tubing following this outline. How do I do this?

I saw the “Create Pipe Run” but couldn’t figure out how it works, so if anyone could help me it would be very nice.

Thanks

Man I really have to jump on this Inventor bandwagon.

Typically though in CAD softwares, you draw your path, or line that you want a shape to follow & then you draw a profile. Link the 2 together by a mate or constraint, normally the center of the profile (circle) to the endpoint of your path, and then do a sweep, command to extrude that profile along that path.

No idea how inventor handles this though, or what the commands are called. (Sorry)

Some CAD systems make you draw the profile first, and some make you draw the path first.

Hi

As i read this, youve drawn an outline of the frame of a bike from the side view.

If that is the case i think the easiest way to create tubes i would say is to extrude the profile to the width of the tube, then just round the corners off and shell it, not sure whether itll work on inventor as I havent tried it, but it worked on prodesktop when i used that.

The piping wizard seems to be more for linking two points together with a pipe.

oljomo

It is possible to “sweep” from one outline to another. I haven’t tied it, but I think if you specify a path and the 2 end profiles, that it can work.

To sweep the bike like you are talking about, draw a circle (make sure you are in the correct plane)somewhere on the line, and click sweep, the sweep feature should create an extrusion of the circle wherever the bike outline goes. You may need to draw your circle on the end point of the bike outline.

yea I did this, but it only does part of it, since the bike is not just one simple line but rather 5 lines connected and splitting at various points.

It works somewhat, if i do it for every “line” seperatly, but then it doesn’t connect…

Thanks for the help!

I can’t really recall exactly what a bike frame looks like but is this sort of what you are trying to do?

I did the whole perimeter in one shot and then the smaller bar through it in a second sweep.

sweep.JPG


sweep.JPG

The tube and pipe runs in Inventor are strictly for architetural reasons. The runs are bent at 90o or 45o angles. It is used more for plumbing than anything else. I was experimenting with it last year, and after watching a tutorial, I could get it where I wanted, but it had no practical purposes on the robot. A bicycle frame would be the same - the tube and pipe runs just don’t work with it.

yes, but in my case it didn’t work.
first I started at (1), so then I did (2) then (3) and than (4), but I couldn’t get it to work in one sweep and it didn’t connect.

frame.bmp (78.9 KB)


frame.bmp (78.9 KB)

You could also use something else as your bas and then build the tubing via 3D sketch. If you wanna know more about that just ask I don’t know if it would work well or not. but thats what I used for the tubes and the wires on our robot. once you get the process down it’s pretty easy.

Try to start by drawing only the outer perimeter in the sketch. You should be able to sweep that once through. Then make a new sketches for the other lines, and sweep those one at a time.

Thanks, i didn’t think about it and I’ll give it a try the next time I come near Autodesk (monday).

Ok, I’ll give this a try too.

I think this would work the best for this problem, with the least amount of time. In inventor, just extrude the square tubes, then just use the “fillet” tool to round them. You can even make fillets where the bikes tubes meet, creating something looking like fillet welds. Then to hollow the tubes out, just use the “shell” tool, set a tube thickness, and it hollows the whole thing out for you. Very easy this way.

Thanks everyone, it works now. I used a new outline and square tubing instead. I think that made the difference, don’t know why. It could also be that the line doesn’t split up.

So it works now, and thanks again everyone for the input.