TurboSquid

I know most of you animators have gotten stuff off of TurboSquid before (turbosquid.com for those who haven’t), but have any of you sold stuff on there also? It’s quite an interesting business for animators, being a different earning scheme than regular labor too. You put your stuff on, set a price, and you get 50% whenever it sells. I believe abroerman has stuff on there (looks pretty nice).

For those of you interested in selling your own models on TS, I would like to take this chance to reiterate something important. It’s just a little thing that I’ve seen some people fail to comprehend. It’s good to know this:

You need to have an real licensed copy of whatever software you create your models in. This does NOT include the copies your school received, trial versions, educational licenses (the cheap ones), or bootleg software. TS and Autodesk are very close buddies, and there’s been talk of instituting a license-checking requirement.
Using legal licensed software is something you’re gonna have to get used to in real business. On an interesting note: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/27/unlicensed_software_shocker/ the URL says it all :wink:
(This is partly why I like F/L software - you don’t have to pay.)

FYI, the versions we get through FIRST are all educational licenses.

Couldn’t you model/animate/texture it in 3DS MAX and then export and do final touches in blender?

what all can you do with an educational license and how can I tell if I have one? I do stuff on turbosquid, so I’d really like to know :ahh:

can anyone tell me? :frowning:

I think that if you start making a profit off of an educational license, you might want to start taking precautions. The Oogy boogy men will soon come with their lawyers.

I’ve had to get a new license several times, so I’m not sure if my license is issued from first or a regular license. It’s one of those “you had to be there” things. Is there any way I can look it up on the program and find out?

It’s been my experience with the Autodesk programs that if it’s an edu license it says “EDUCATIONAL LICENSE” at the top of the window

cool, because mine says it’s a standalone license, thanks guys (-:

well… if you don’t have any recollection of shelling out $4k for the software… then I’m guessing it’s not a valid commercial license. Just a guess. Maybe you forgot that you won it?
oh, and, selling that stuff on turbosquid without paying for the software is not morally right, not to mention legally right.

well what happened was this: I am the animation leader for my team, and so I have the software on my computer at home. the rest of the licenses went to other team members and on school computers. my computer crashed, so my father (who runs the team) obtained more licenses for school and one for my computer, and I don’t know what kind they were. I’ll pull my stuff from turbosquid just in case .