Turntables

So, in the rules it was stated that it was against the rules to have more than 2 degree freedoms. We’re using the P/N 276-1810 Turn Table bearing kit, and to our knowledge, it’s a first degree freedom. If we use two of these, would it could put together as a two degree freedom, or two one degree freedoms? Please answer this as soon as possible, thank you!

Without seeing the specific rule you’re talking about I can’t be sure, but if I had to take a guess, it sounds like this rule is more intended to prevent people from building flying robots (IE drones) than it is to limit complexity of manipulators (which is what I assume you’re building). Unless of course the rule specifically applies to manipulators and not the entire robot, then I would guess it means you’re limited to 2 degrees of freedom per manipulator.

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit on which rule # you’re referring to and what you’re trying to build? We might be able to help you better.

You would be fine-- recall that the wording of the rule is that COTS parts and assemblies can only have one degree of freedom, that is, what you buy can only have one degree of freedom. Your actual robot assembly can have as many degrees of freedom as you want to have.

With regards to the second post, it isn’t to prevent flying robots, it’s to prevent teams from buying a prebuilt claw or shooter mechanism. This is pretty well spelled out in the rules and hardware inspector manual.

“COTS parts and assemblies may only have a maximum of a single degree of freedom. It is the intent of FIRST that Teams design and build their devices to achieve the game challenge. Assemblies of COTS components, such as linear slides, and gearboxes are allowed while a pre-fabricated gripper assembly designed to grab the game elements is not. Holonomic wheels (omni or mechanum) are exempt from the one degree of freedom limitation.”

This was what was written on the first part of Robotics FTC Team Manual on Page 27. We’re are concerned with the fact that we have an arm that teeters (if you’d like you can think of it as a see-saw) that is on a turntable bearing that rotates (like a lazy susan).

If the arm and the see-saw are not bought as a single unit, you are fine. It’s no different than a tilting bucket at the end of a cascading lift. COTS refers to stuff you buy, not stuff you combine yourself.