Turret Cad

Well, here I am again posting one of the half-finished designs that I would like you guys to give some advice on.

The gear ratio on the turret is
12:60
36:170

As you can see there’s some fun gearing to make the gears fit and align with the turret gear.

I also had some great ideas on how to make the bearings flush so that the middle can be used to transport 2017 cargo because this will eventually be a turreted shooter.

The middle as I said is gonna be used to funnel the balls so I designed idle rollers in just for the fun.

Any input would be great!

That looks great. I’ve been considering CADding a turret mechanism before, although it’d be utilizing a lazy Susan. The idol rollers are an interesting concept as well. I don’t a have a great knowledge for 2017 Steamworks and robots however ( I joined my team in 2017 offseason). For a point of reference what’s the inner Diameter? And theoretically what motor would you run?

1 Like

There goes justin back at it again.

Lazy Susans are designed as thrust bearings only, to carry the weight of the load on them. They are not robust when it comes to the radial loading you will get when you project a game piece.

1 Like

Sorry, I like to ask questions. In a proposed scenario of a turret omg elevator testing on the face of a lazy Susan, and it being driven directly below from a separately mounted motor, where would the radial force becoming from? Or do you mean something like where the radial force is put on the side like from a motor:

I guess I’m stuck up on the idea of the game piece, and where the load would come from.
Again not accusing you - I just want to learn. Thanks for your time!

I’ve never built a turret but I’ve designed one before. I think tall structures could apply a radial load on the turret when the robot accelerates or stops quickly. Another possibility is an uneven load on the turret spinning quickly enough for a centripetal force to occur on the bearing. For example, 254 elevator plus arm on their turret could apply a radial load on the bearing if it spins quickly. I’m not completely sure about the second case.

1 Like

Well thats ok I like answering questions. The radial loads are actually gonna be coming from the lift being a lot taller than the midline of the turret which will result in forces that are actually more at an angle. So think of it like if you grab a pencil in between your fingers only at the bottom and then you push at the top. Think of your fingers like the turret on the elevator there will be lots of bending forces on it. Idk if that actually helped you understand but that’s how I think of it.

And the idle bearings are not for any loads but are actually just to smooth the transition from the base to the shooter, this is gonna have a shooter on top and then a feeder from the bottom so I just added those for fun to allow for the ball to not get stuck on the turret.

I am going to be running 2 neos and the inner diameter is just above 5 in so that the game piece has just enough room to not get stuck.

Thanks CD! You guys rock. People like you make CD a great place to learn.

2 Likes

2 Neos seems like total overkill, but without seeing any calculations that could be incorrect. Teams in the past have run turrets on a single pro, bag, etc. In my head one Neo seems perfectly fine.

So actually in the topic of turreting a lift and where you have to take the loads into consideration I have another turret that I have designed that was meant to have a lift and you can actually see how I used a second bearing to distribute the loads.

here is a cross section view but it doesnt show the best but the 2 circled things are my bearings, the bottom one is a 2.25 OD and 1.25 ID bearing and then the top ones are almost identical to the ones in my turret before.

Here is an underside view of the turret without the main plate attached.

1 Like

One thing I’d watch out for is when you’re designing something, you want to make sure you’re going to be able to machine it. image Depending on what you have access to, you might have some trouble getting those bearing mounts to work. But if you can, I think it’s a pretty interesting concept

Those are actually gonna be 3d printed. It’s 2 parts that are gonna attach to the top and bottom. It shouldn’t take too many loads so that’s why it’s gonna be 3D printed

1 Like

The forces described above all make sense, but I was referring to the reaction force of launching the game piece. Pushing cargo gently into a cargo bay wouldn’t be an issue, but launching a heavier game piece a significant distance (e.g. the BOULDER into the high goal for STRONGHOLD, or the Rebound Rumble basketball where you’re not taking the short key shot) will push the turret in the opposite direction the game piece is being launched. 3946 tore apart two Lazy Susan bearings in practice for Rebound Rumble.

You’re welcome!

1 Like

Oh okay, I see what you mean. I’ll take that into account in the future!

Thanks for the help!!

Ah, that makes sense.

I am going to work on attaching a shooter to the top of this and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for how to do it. Does anyone have any pictures of how you have done it in the past because im working with some size constraints so I need something simple yet strong and small.

2 Likes

134 Build one in 2012 for Rebound Rumble.

I don’t think I have any pictures of the turret but there are a few old videos of testing. We used a similar design to what you have

EDIT
We didn’t have any major issues with the turret aside from an occasional wire coming loose.

Here is a decent image of the Turret:

2 NEOs on a turret! What could you possibly need that much power for?

gotta flex

5 Likes