Turret Wiring

How would I go on and wire a turret on the robot? Preferably a rotation of the turret of 270deg and 360deg. I had an idea of just hanging the wires above the turret, to allow for the free rotation of the turret. If you have any others lmk.

1 Like

Check out 254’s use of energy chain and a constant force spring.

2 Likes

This is a link to my team’s website Robot -2020 - WCRJ, you will see a picture of our 2020 robot with a turret going about 270 degrees. The large red wire type thing is all of our turret wites surrounding a pex tube for stability we have it set up where the tube could spin and it kept everything out of the way and moving the correct ways.

Know you still have to deal with the twist in the wires over time. Not necessarily a bad solution though, just something to be aware of.

To pigback off of what @Tinnittin said:
Here is FRC Team 254’s 2020 Technical Binder. It has a static shot of their wire management on page 21.

2 Likes

^ This

I think there were some other teams that attempted this for 2020. But I cant recall numbers off the top of my head. 254 is gonna be the cleanest resource that is readily available.

Another thing to consider, as my team 1706 designed last year, is whether the turret needs to infinitely rotate 360 degrees or if it can flip all the way around to keep wires from ever being a problem. We decided to decrease our rotational angle possibility in order to maintain knowledge of exactly where our wires and tubing would be at all times. Overall from the few matches we were able to compete at there wasn’t ever a problem losing, in our case, around 45 degrees. But we also run a swerve drivetrain and that year the target was always on one side of the field relative to the robot. As long as you know where the turret is aiming in degrees or radians, which is almost needed to use a turret anyways, you should be able to have it skip a section of rotation to not interfere with wires and other parts

Last year we used a stiff rubber tube and ran the wiring up that, leaving enough slack for the turret to rotate.

3946 had a rotation of about 300 degrees rookie year and did this - hanging it near the rotating axis, with the support going up in the middle of the dead zone. This was probably the least problematic part of our turret. Not a great solution, but it worked OK.

I think the biggest problem with this idea is that the primary shooting angle for the upper hub will be fairly vertical. So hanging the wires in a central location above the turret would block your shot. Mounting it above the hood but a little bit behind the center would work for some turret orientations, but as you rotate the turret to one side or the other, that location starts to block your shot again.

Another good hooded shooter to study in terms of the energy chain / wire management is 118’s 2017 robot. We studied this quite a bit in 2020 when our initial wire snake solution was snagging. We never ended up implementing a similar design because of space constraints on that robot. but it really is a great solution if you can design it in from the beginning.

2 Likes

We made an umbilical of sorts on our Infinite Recharge bot with a turret. Basically a loop of extra wire bundles in spiral wrap that allowed 270 degrees of rotation. You can see it just behind the curved yellow side plate on our shooter in the photo.

We have identified turret wiring management as a secondary problem that we need to take care of within the constraints of general robot architecture. That is if we do a turret.

We were worried about our “ponytail” quite a but during the short run of 2020, and while we did arrive at a solution, given the robot constraints it was still a worry.

Just keep turret wiring in the back of you head and leave space/time to arrive at a solution.