Turrets in 2024

Hi CD, How does feeding notes into a turret work this year? Is it just compressing it into a line and then forcing it through into the turret?

9 Likes

It depends :tm:

it is different robot to robot

1 Like

This is 254’s (blue circles are rollers)

30 Likes

It’s either that or an illustration for a biology class! :crazy_face:

21 Likes

A lot of teams hand off to the shooter from the intake, choosing not to put it through a turret ring.

254 is massively the exception in this case.

11 Likes

can anyone explain how this was driven? is it multiple motors?

Also to the OP, we had a turret this year. we would intake a note from the ground and it would transfer into our shooter “carriage” (the holding place for the note) from the intake, and we could then aim the turret around only after we had the note.

1 Like

Another key exception is 2910. In my (somewhat uneducated) opinion the main benefit to a turret in 2024, which is flexibility with autos, requires the ability to serialize at any turret/drivebase angle, an aspect where 2910/254’s architecture shines. Otherwise since only 1 game piece can be held and full field cycles are usually required, turrets seem to just be a cool novelty in most cases.

2 Likes

If you are expecting to be a team that is plauged with defense, turrets also make a lot of sense, especially if located high up on the bot, above most defenders.

2767 designed the 2022 machine with the defense constraint in mind. It wasn’t as bad as we thought, but still handy. It also allowed for the traversal rung shot into the hub (ultimately a novelty, but still fun).

2 Likes

Locating a turret high up on a bot for this game in particular is also a design tradeoff regarding defense since you’re likely sacrificing the ability to drive beneath the stage. I will agree that if a team can make its turret control rigid and precise enough, though, it can make the bot resistant to “bumps” from defense throwing off aim (since the alignment of the drive base no longer matters). Whether this is worth it is ultimately up to teams to decide.

I think this year the tradeoff isn’t worth it, but placing the turret near max height to go under the stage is the right call (winces with 2020 st joe energy) .

Then some driver practice to keep a defender on the corner of the robot (maximize seperation between the two bots) .

6 Likes

Our team decided to put both the shooter and intake on one single mechanism and have that assembly move on a turret. This would allow the game piece to travel through the center of the robot.

22 Likes

Regardless of the inevitable “to turret, or not to turret” discussion, I think we can all agree that turret envy is real. Teams that manage to do them well and make them consistent, rigid, and truly helpful for accomplishing game actions always make me want one…

4 Likes

Here’s some teasers from the Tech Binder / Pit Display we’ll have at Champs:

The design allows Notes to be fed into Shooter or exhausted out to Amplifier (Amp/Trap scoring elevator) from any Turret position.

89 Likes

How much does the feeder compress the notes as they traverse the system to be pulled into the shooter? It looks like they have to “hot-dog” significantly. Knowing the fragility of the game pieces, has it ever broken any notes?

Anyone know how 118 does the feed 360? I have my guesses but it seem different style from 254/2910

Is the entirety of the bigus 3D printed?

1 Like

I will find out for sure next Tuesday at the Robonauts Open House, but based on the reveal video I have a theory. I think the note is fed straight upwards from below by a set of top/bottom rollers (similar to most shooters). There is then a second set of top/bottom rollers on the shooter side of the turret that rotates with the shooter. Best case scenario is they are parallel to each other and the note transfers between these sets of rollers like any other robot. Worst case scenario, they are perpendicular to each other. Since the shooter set of rollers is constantly spinning in, the note will twist to fit itself inside of the top set of rollers. It is also possible they have code to avoid the worst case scenario in case that doesn’t work.

If you watch the reveal video, the note clearly twists as it goes from the intake side to the shooter side.

7 Likes

I mean, it is called Twister for a reason

10 Likes

It’s about 8" between the outside of the Feeder wheels and the inside of the polycarb wall. The Note is basically rolling against the outer wall like a ball in a radial ball bearing.

Here’s what our prototype on January 13th looked like: a big baseplate with holes so we could vary the overall diameter / how much we compress the disk:
5742321079948048466img_0851

We have occasionally had some Notes break, usually due to a speed mismatch between the Intake and the Feeder. Since EBR we have made the rolling surfaces be more speed matched in software so I don’t think we broke any Notes in the past 3 weeks.

99 Likes

Here’s a video of our initial prototype on January 11:

And here’s a video of our prototype wire routing:

And finally a video of an integrated prototype, that feeds through a 90 degree twist and a pitch joint, into the shooter “chamber”:

61 Likes