Two Places At Same Time?

Posted by Bill Beatty at 03/29/2001 3:14 PM EST

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

It could get interesting when you have to go play on the main field and either your division field or the main field gets out of sync. with the other. Maybe time to run?

Mr Bill

Posted by Rob Zeuge at 03/29/2001 4:50 PM EST

Coach on team #121, Rhode Warrior, from University of Rhode Island and Naval Undersea Warfare Center.

In Reply to: Two Places At Same Time?
Posted by Bill Beatty on 03/29/2001 3:14 PM EST:

This could be really bad because while you are waiting on deck on Einstein, you might not hear your team being called on deck on your division field. Good thing they didn’t put me in charge of this stuff…

But seriously…Hopefully there will be enough time between matches that this will not even be an issue.

Best of luck

Robert Zeuge
[email protected]

Posted by Joe Johnson at 03/29/2001 5:23 PM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Re: Two Places At Same Time?
Posted by Rob Zeuge on 03/29/2001 4:50 PM EST:

I suppose that FIRST may move divisions to the main stage en mass.

They may just rotated the regularly scheduled matches from the division stage to the main stage for a round and then move the next division to the main stage etc.
In this way, only 4 matches are playing at any one time. It is not as efficient of use of the stage, but it will solve the logistical problem of teams having to be at two places at one time.

This also solves the problem of the divisions being out of sync. Basically, each division could get a time slot on the main stage. This would allow them to easily switch between divisions.

I have no idea how they actually plan on doing this, but it seems that this may be a good way.

Joe J.

Posted by Chris Hibner at 03/30/2001 7:55 AM EST

Coach on team #308, Walled Lake Monster, from Walled Lake Schools and TRW Automotive Electronics.

In Reply to: Moving Lock Stock and Barrel…
Posted by Joe Johnson on 03/29/2001 5:23 PM EST:

: I suppose that FIRST may move divisions to the main stage en mass.

I doubt they would do this. This would eliminate 1-2 qualification matches per team.

In the past when the fields would get out of sync, FIRST would delay a field to get it back in sync. For instance, I remember when one field was 3 matches ahead of another field. FIRST then ordered a 15 break on the field that was ahead in order to get the fields in sync again. I see them using this same method.

I also think that teams will have somewhere between 45 and 90 minutes between matches. I don’t know if the fields can get that far out of sync.

-Chris

Posted by Erica Schindler at 03/29/2001 7:34 PM EST

Other on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells/ ONSI Corporation.

In Reply to: Re: Two Places At Same Time?
Posted by Rob Zeuge on 03/29/2001 4:50 PM EST:

: This could be really bad because while you are waiting on deck on Einstein, you might not hear your team being called on deck on your division field. Good thing they didn’t put me in charge of this stuff…

: But seriously…Hopefully there will be enough time between matches that this will not even be an issue.

: Best of luck

: Robert Zeuge
: [email protected]

To All teams…
last year an incident occured in which my former team wasnt called on deck. We recieved only a “Final Call”, and we didnt make it to the field in time…especially with multiple divisions/fields, and moving to am from different places, keep track of how quickly or slowly the matches are running yourselves. This will avoid you not playing a match and subsequently accepting a 0 for that round. The judges told us that it was our responsiblity to make sure that we were on time for our events, and not to rely on the PA system to tell us when we were supposed to be where… Just letting all you know out there, so that this doesnt happen again this year…from experiance, i know that it can knock you from being a picking team to the pickee… :slight_smile: take care everyone, and have fun in Florida, this will be the first year in the last 5 that I havent been there, and i am certianly going to be missing it!! Good Luck!
~Erica Schindler
alumna from team 177 GO BOBCATS!! :slight_smile:

Posted by nick237 at 03/29/2001 7:50 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

In Reply to: Two Places At Same Time?
Posted by Bill Beatty on 03/29/2001 3:14 PM EST:

What a good point Mr Bill. I think each team when on the main stage should have a volunteer stay in the pit area and listen for games coming up.
If your team name is called while the team is out side then its that persons responsibility to contact the field referee to explain the situation, if neccecery that individual is to wedge himself under the ramp untill help from his team arrives.
Or the other three alliance members could refuse to field their bots untill the forth member is present.
Could be very interesting.
nick237

: It could get interesting when you have to go play on the main field and either your division field or the main field gets out of sync. with the other. Maybe time to run?

: Mr Bill