Types of Fun in FRC

I have recently learned about different types of fun and I have started to use it to explain how certain activities are fun, but maybe not in the moment. source

Type 1 Fun: Is fun during the activity
Type 2 Fun: Is fun after the activity has finished
Type 3 Fun: Is not fun at all

The blog doesn’t go into combinations of the types, but many activities, I feel are much more of a mixture than a single type. I have a guess to what most people will pick for what type of fun FRC is, but I would love to see what y’all think.

What Type of Fun is FRC?
  • Type 1
  • Type 1 and 2
  • Type 2
  • Type 2 and 3
  • Type 3
  • Type 3 and 1
  • Other (Please Comment)

0 voters

The first two weeks of build season are Type 1 Fun.
Weeks 3-6 are Type 2 Fun.
For those of us old enough to remember, putting the robot into the crate is simultaneously 1, 2, and 3.

2 Likes

It can be any of the three. The Cambridge Dictionary defines fun as pleasure, enjoyment, or entertainment. Working together with a group can be pleasurable or enjoyable in the moment even in a stressful environment. For many, solving a problem is immediately enjoyable. Watching a robot perform can definitely be entertaining as it happens, sometimes for something good and other times as a bit of comedy for something bad.

It should go without saying that there are times when problems seem to outrun solutions or the time needed for robotics plus the rest of life puts us into overload. These cases may not seem pleasurable or enjoyable in the moment, but many of us find enjoyment in the end result.

For some that try FRC, it doesn’t provide either immediate or deferred enjoyment so they stop doing it.

For me, I’d say FRC is about 80% type 1, 20% type 2, and 0% type 3. For others, the mix might be quite different.

Looking into this a little more, there are those that put fun into 4 categories rather than 3. There are two dimensions - fun in the moment and fun in retrospect. Type 3 fun as described by the OP would be type 4 fun in this other model. Type 3 fun in the other model would be things that are fun in the moment and not fun in retrospect. Things like overeating or horseplay could be type 3 fun.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.