Types of robotics kids!

Hey guys!

I am writing a classification essay in Comp I. For those who do not understand the premises if a classification essay. It's basically where  You look at a general population (lets say highschoolers) and subcategorize and explain the differences between thes subcategories (ex. Jocks, nerds, goth kids, etc...) anywho what i would like is for you guys to come up with your own type of FRC robotics kid. For example. We all know the kids that wear the costumes and mascots etc. That could be a type!  We also know people who wear the merchandise of popular teams at events. Thats another type! I hope ive given enough examples and i cant wait to see what you guys come up with! 

Thanks,
      Andrew. 

#FRC-456

2 Likes

To me, it is not good to classify robotics students as any “type”. Everyone as multiple facets to their personality and role on their team, and therefore, i think a "type " or “classification” of a robotics student is maybe not the best way to approach the essay. Just my opinion though…

7 Likes

For easier reading

18 Likes

The smart kid, the kid who participates in FIRST Robotics. There’s my contribution

9 Likes

Just to make it easier to read…

I am writing a classification essay in Comp I. For those who do not understand the premises if a classification essay. It’s basically where You look at a general population (lets say highschoolers) and subcategorize and explain the differences between thes subcategories (ex. Jocks, nerds, goth kids, etc…) anywho what i would like is for you guys to come up with your own type of FRC robotics kid. For example. We all know the kids that wear the costumes and mascots etc. That could be a type! We also know people who wear the merchandise of popular teams at events. Thats another type! I hope ive given enough examples and i cant wait to see what you guys come up with!

Thanks,
Andrew.

#FRC-456

Type A and Type B—that covers most everyone. We’ve found the Type A kids tend to make better drivers.

2 Likes

The software minded, the hardware minded…everyone is different really.

The one with no filter, literally says anything and everything with no regrets

8 Likes

All types. Name a “type”, they are currently on an a team somewhere.

1 Like

My interpretation was this was not meant to be a derogatory or discriminatory type of classification, but rather something like what FUN did with FRC stereotypes:

5 Likes

Swerve Kings, Tank Tacticians, and Mecanum Manaics.

5 Likes

Ok I will jump in. I will comment on our current teams (in the past it has varied). Also my students are mostly self aware I do not think I am stereotyping them per say but society. These are facts that student should understand.
I work with 2 team 3134 (all female) 3275 (all male) each team is ~15 student with members of different levels of involvement.
mostly our football and basket ball cheer leading squad but not all. Mostly girls who are in many activities Speech, Cheer, NHS, Student Council… We have some who are involved in less that are first year students. It is tough in a small school to get students who devote all their time to one activity. Over all outgoing and top of their academic class. Public relations and image orientated, organized and cohesive.
mixed bag. Some only do robotics, some top of class, some struggle with academics. For some this program may be the very reason they are still in school. It is a mix of mechanical minded and technological orientated students.

Robotics can and should be for everyone. If a student has an interest and some motivation there is a spot for them on my teams.

1 Like

FRC 4607 has always adapted our team structure to the students (and mentors) we have on the team. What I mean by this is we adjust for the strengths of the team members we have have in any given year.

That being stated, we have seen a more stable team in the last three seasons. This could be because of the normal maturation of the team in our school and community, the significance of that mentors play on the team in recent years, and the strong student body we have on our team. The ‘strong student body’ I speak of comes partly from our feeder programs (FLL and FTC now five years long) and the constant and incessant recruitment that we have on our team. I have to be honest - the kids that come up from FTC/FLL are great, but many stagnant on a team such as ours. We are not linear, but more random/abstract when it comes to growth.

The ‘Hallway recruitment ideal’ that we have is partnered with the constant encouraging of new students to rise quickly from a rookie to lead positions via coordinators, project leads, and even into leadership council. I believe that new blood on the team needs to change our team for the better. As I tell the team constantly, I want others to ‘chase a ghost’ when they are striving to replicate our processes/outreach events/new engineering components/etc on 4607. Along with this, I urge my students to find best practices on other teams and then adopt/adapt these to make our team better. It is very common for a new student to robotics (especially 10 & 11 grade) to find themselves as a lead on a project or as a coordinator for an event. Why? Because they give me an honest approach with no concerns of ‘how things are done’ on 4607. All the while they are mentored by some of the best adults we could muster in Central Minnesota.

As for types of kids - we want ALL types of kids; this has been a staple of FRC 4607 since our beginning. I want the theater kids, the athletes, media/video aficionados, the fantasy sports experts, the programming nerds, the ‘artistic type that can’t find a spot in fine arts’, the drama kids, students interested in business, the debate and knowledge bowl kids, the wall-walkers, those interested in marketing, the gearheads, vidiots, and everyone else in between. More over than anything else, I want the kids that are motivated - intrinsically or extrinsically. Great point in all of this - most of our mentors are intrinsically motivated, but not myself; I am very much extrinsically motivated - those that know me know this.

So for ‘types of students’ - it is ever changing on our team as they blend together by the end of each season. Partner this with the mentors we have on the team and the opportunities that the student gain from our outreach events - it is no guess why our students have been so successful in their post-FRC lives (yes, we track them).

So as I kick aside the soap box, let’s not concentrate on the ‘types of kids on a robotics team’ and just get out there and bring them all on board!

We have had both as drivers . Can you further explain why you lean towards Type A for drivers?

Thanks for the information!

Fun fact, the notion of type A/B personality isn’t really supported by modern science and was perpetuated by the tobacco industry to downplay the awful health effects of smoking

3 Likes

Anecdotal, but the hardcore competitive kids who hate losing tend to get better faster and achieve better on-field performance than the kids who are not competitive. Nothing to back this up but experience selecting, training and playing with many different drivers.

I only know the types for three former robotics students. One is A+, the other two O+.

7 Likes

I honestly don’t know what my rhesus monkey factor is.

1 Like

The ones that make us have “mentor meetings” at the bar right after.

2 Likes