Types of Robots for 2004

Couldnt find anything in the search so I wanted to get an on going list of different possibilities of robots for this competition. Add what you like, different autonomous modes, strategies, scenarios, basic design features,…

5 pt. Ball Pusher
5 pt. Ball Collector/Depositor
2x Ball Manipulator
Goal Mover
Platform Manuverablity/Stair Climber
Bar Hanger
Cascading 5pt. Ball Catcher
Autonomous 10pt. Ball Knocker/Grabber
Defensive Chute Blocker

You could also be a ramp(bar)/stair blocker. You could be a robot that assists other robots up the 6" ledge.

not wanting to give away top secret team information/secret designs, ive decided i can help u this way. since this years game isnt an all out brawl or pulling power game like the last 2 years, so u dont need an extensive amount of power or weight. for auto mode, u can pretty much go for the tees, the mobile goals, or i dont know what else cuz i dont feel like thinking about this anymore cuz ive been up every night since the release of the game thinking about possible designs and weve had 3 team meetings that have been about 5 hours long each :ahh:

Yeah, I definately hear you there, good ideas tho, just trying to get it centralized, hopefully making it all a little easier

yeah everyone on the team has different ideas of what we want to do this year… i mean u can do everything, but i dont think its really feasible with weight restrictions and stuff… but u would deffinitly want to collect balls seing as thats the only way (minus hagning on the bar) to score points

5 pt. Ball Pusher
5 pt. Ball Collector/Depositor
2x Ball Manipulator
Goal Mover
Platform Manuverablity/Stair Climber
Bar Hanger
Cascading 5pt. Ball Catcher
Autonomous 10pt. Ball Knocker/Grabber
Defensive Chute Blocker

ball funeller(catches cascading balls and funnells them to plyr station)
plyr station blocker/view obstructer
box-on-wheels/ball pusher
ball thrower(shoots balls back to plyr station)

thats all i can think of off the top of my head

too bad those are both illegal, unless youre talking about throwing the balls across the field, and not over the player station.

Cory

“The ‘wedge’ is the edge!”

Ken Loyd
Team 64

It seems like it will be a ball collector/2x Manipulator for Team 596 the SciClones.

It seems like the base robot would need a general autonomous, at least knocking the ball off the tee, then just getting balls to the human player and/or pushing goals around. Im also thinking if you were to have some type of arm to pick up the 2x ball, you could use that to attach to the bar…there are so many possible designs, just comming up with a priority is the hardest right now probably, still digesting the game, finding the best way to go at it

agreed.
we are trying the multiple function arm idea right now, because if you build it right, then you have an awesome robot. it is not as hard as it looks, but thats prolly cause we havent tried to build it yet…

too bad those are both illegal, unless youre talking about throwing the balls across the field, and not over the player station.

yes i was

And blocking the view isnt illegal, niether is blocking the ball deposits

Actually, blocking your opponent’s view is illegal. It was answered on the FIRST Q/A page.

Section: 4.4.3 Date Posted: 1/11/2004 Status: Answered
Q: Will it be permissible to intentionally block the opposition’s view of the playing field for the obvious reason of limiting their ability to operate their robots?
A: No. This violates gracious professionalism.

Also, it was answered that 1 robot can only block 1 ball chute at a time.

Section: 4.1 Date Posted: 1/10/2004 Status: Answered
Q: How many of the doggy doors which let the robot push balls to the human player are open at a time, and can we block them?
A: The “doggy doors” are open cutouts aka Ball Chutes in the diamond plate so they are always open. Regarding blocking of the Ball Chutes, please refer to new Rule <G26>… 1 robot can only block 1 Ball Chute of the opposing alliance at a time.

Some guys have quite a long list out there…

Here’s ours:
-Un/Re Capping Movable goals
-Grabbing movable goals
-Herding balls

We’re working on having our capping mechanism (as a bonus) be able to pick up a capped ball off the ground.
We’re avoiding the Bar, platforms entirely. This year one of our main devices functions as both a good offence and defence device. It herds balls, but also provides a great way of blocking anything. So, you’ll see us on offence and defence.
Our auto mode that we have planned (thus far) will be a set of optional actions.
We’re going to have a switch panel on our bot for functions, such as:
| BONUSBALL | GOAL | UNCAP | HERD | BRING TO STATION | BRING TO DUMP |
YES
NO

and so forth. It is built up of preset movement data for each individual function, and references each one based on the switch settings. We found that passing a set of drive values to the PWMs without error checking worked really good last year (suprisingly) and should work even better this year with auto mode being more straight shot. So, one match we could talk with our alliance partner to see if they know they’ll get the bonus ball(s). If so, we can zip down and position our goal under the ball dump (it is legal, check the team update) or bring it back to our station, to dump balls over into it. But I think our main auto mode will go something like this:
-Knock over both alliances bonus balls
-Grab and uncap goal
-Open Herding device (on the back of our bot) and back up to the driver station, pushing a few balls on the ground into the corral

Our bot will also be able to “huddle” a goal within a corner of the field, fully protected. With a grip on the capping ball, it won’t get knocked off. Since we’re not going for the bar, we can save the last few seconds for letting go of our capping ball/goal. We also plan to play defence against hanging bots getting on the platform if we need to.