Ubertube pre-match placement

During our (only!) practice match at the Oklahoma Regional today, we were told that we couldn’t place our ubertube on the ground touching our bumper; it had to be leaning up against the side of the robot. I wasn’t watching all afternoon, but it seemed pretty clear from the matches before and after us that they were enforcing this pretty religiously.

My understanding of <G06> is that it can be touching any part of the robot, in any way, and from what I’ve seen of other regionals this is how it’s been interpreted. Has anyone seen or heard this “leaning ubertube” interpretation before, or have I missed something?

Bring the rule book up to the officials. I’ve seen many teams use their bumpers to line up ubertubes, and I have yet to find a rule that goes against this. If they say you can’t do it, ask why. You have the right to know why they aren’t allowing you to place your ubertube on your bumper! If they give any legit reason why that is in the rule book, then you have to listen to them. Otherwise, I don’t see why you can’t have it on your robot when the match starts.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to lay them flat on the ground, as long as they are touching the bumper. You should talk to the refs about it. And, if that doesn’t work, follow Bill’s advice:

If you encounter a miss-communication at any FRC events in the future, please turn to the 2011 Manual first, then with rule in hand, discuss the problem with the event volunteer. If you cannot come to an agreement, go to the Event Manager or FTA both of whom can contact FIRST HQ if they can’t resolve the issue themselves.

from http://frcdirector.blogspot.com/2011/03/week-two-is-now-happy-memory.html

Good luck!

Um, we lined it up touching our bumper throughout GSR and the week zero. Head referee Aiden Browne was by the field at the week zero event and they were strictly following every rule during the event for every match.

What comes to mind is the refs may be interpreting ROBOT (not the capitalization, as in G06 like you quoted) as excluding BUMPERS. I couldn’t find anything definitive during a brief look through the game manual, but some of the wording suggests this, e.g.

–Ryan