Under the Carpet -- Hanging game years has there been extra padding?

I noticed in reading the rules that under the hanging bars is a layer of fiberboard and a layer of carpet over that. Making three layers of protection from (heavy) falling robots to the (expensive) gym floors below.

Has this been in the case with other years there were climbing robots?

Volunteers that have done load-outs in prior years, has there been floor damage?

1 Like

We have had some minor damage (actually in the queue rather than the field) and some big near misses that prompted our District to but fiberboard under the entire game field. Makes everyone more comfortable. Most of the climb/lift in previous games such as PowerUp had poly platforms underneath. This is a good move to protect the floor since there is nothing but carpet in this field.

1 Like

I don’t remember steamworks having anything other than carpet and boards under it. I don’t remember seeing any damage when we pulled them up. I also don’t remember hearing about any one else having damage either, but I might not have been in the loop of the people who get those complaints.
If your genuinely concerned maybe you can get a second set of boards to go under the entire field. (Don’t know if it’s actually allowed but I would think as long as it’s under everything it should be fine. If your hosting an event their’s probably someone you can call and ask. )

1 Like

Going WAY back through the list of hanging games…
2000: ramp.
2004: platform.
2010: Depending where exactly you hung, you might have a hump, a platform, or nothing at all.
2013: Carpet. Possibly a rung of the pyramid if you were above Level 1.
2016: Batter (polycarb structure).
2017: Carpet.
2018: Platform.
2019: Platform.

So up to 3 times there’s been nothing but carpet, and two of those depended on where/how high you were climbing. All the rest have had padding.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.