Unique Deep Space Designs

What are some particularly unique robot designs this year? This year seems to be the year of multistage elevators but are there any designs that stick out?

1 Like

We have this?

6 Likes

ramp bots

3 Likes

5 Likes

Team 589’s climb for sure. The LRI’s in Houston came to Turing in a group to watch this robot.

Video

8 Likes

254 has to be said here. An arm on an elevator on a turret is easily one of the most unique designs this year.

5 Likes

But 1305 has the same design… 1305 released their robot first… Who stole the design? 1305 or 254? Keep in mind I do not know any other teams that do this as I have only watched Ontario.

2 Likes

They came to it independently?

2 Likes

They each designed their own robot. 254’s arm is very different to 1305’s and if you look at how each team did the turret and did the elevator it would probably be very different.

4 Likes

That’s wild, lifting out of their bumpers and sliding the main part of the robot forward.

2 Likes

Talking about 1305 and 254’s turret what about 3476, they have some crazy turret stuff and their secondary roller for the cargo intake is cool too.

1 Like

Our alliance captain on Carver, 6443 was very unique and efficient with their flips. They never missed a climb, always super fast after playing awesome defense and pushing everybody across the field. Other than climb fast they were able to leave a lot of space for other robots to climb with them. They led our alliance #5 to the final of the division and also won Creativity Award for Carver-Newton.

5 Likes

That’s one unique climbing! Are these bumpers considered " non-articulated structural elements"?

1 Like

Those bumpers are considered non-articulated because they’re still attached to the frame of the robot in the same position. The whole rest of the robot is considered to be articulating but since the bumpers are attached to the frame perimeter in the same place this is legal.

3 Likes

If drive trains were required to be non-articulated with respect to the frame perimeter, then lots of swerve and butterfly drives would be illegal. This one is just an extreme case.

3 Likes

2383 Ninjaneers also had a turret + arm and they so happen to be pitted next to 254 at Houston

2 Likes

We saw team 670 at Arizona, pretty unique low bot. They have this arm with 180 degree motion, and a claw which can also hook hatches. Heard they won industrial design at silicon valley.

20190421_164611 20190421_164711

3 Likes

What about an arm on a turret on an elevator :thinking:

8 Likes

I, personally, am a fan of 1058’s climb

1 Like

Personally, I really like 401’s design. Looks so cool when they go in for a hatch, like an arrow. They are also a rocket bot.

8 Likes