Update #19

The ninteenth update realesed:
http://www2.usfirst.org/2007comp/Updates/2007%20Team%20Update%2019.pdf

lets get the discussion going

thats a good thing to know… unfortunately we had no troubles with our camera anyway…

Assuming the continued use of cameras in future games, hopefully this will be an ongoing practice at FIRST events for years to come.

I like this idea each event and venue always has different lighting set ups with different heights for the lights and different bulb set ups and stuff, good idea FIRST hopefully this will continue on to future games with the camera. Good Job FIRST.

Wow, and I just saw that there was an update 18 today about 1 hour before this was posted!

Sweet. At both our other regionals, We couldn’t get our two cameras tracking because the entire rack glowed green. We’re still wondering how to fix this, and should have ample oppertunity at Davis.

Yay! An update that is pretty likely not to be controversial! :smiley:

Someone will find a way to flame FIRST. :wink:

But that wouldn’t be cool… Because they are doing their best. Many times people don’t give them enough credit. (I used to be one of them, then I volunteered for field crew at SVR… it takes a lot more than people think to run something like this, so cut them some slack!)

Since someone extended the challenge…

[sarcasm][argument=“Colbertian”]Why wasn’t this part of the practice schedule from day one in 2005? For fifteen weeks of competition now, we’ve been forced to take guesses at the exact values on the field–and now, only two weeks of regional competitions will get a benefit from it. Now there’s going to be a HUGE advantage for teams that have this extra hour of testing time when they get to Atlanta! The sky is, in fact, falling![/argument][/sarcasm]

I’m glad FIRST has seen the light about helping us to see the light.

That’s an excellent idea, I’m glad they’ve made it available. It’ll help out a lot of teams in the next two weeks, I’m sure.

This is good. Team Voltage never had trouble seeing the green light, we just saw the ceiling spot lights every once and a while. The software team had to scramble to do some code changes, but hey, that’s what we’re used to.

–Chris

Actually, you can make a legit arguement here. While I dont care really, I just feel like playing Devil’s Advocate. This could have been very important to teams heavily reliant on cameras in the first three weeks, and ultimately cost a team a trip to Atlanta because their guidance system wasn’t working as fluidly as hoped, and therefore lost, instead of winning the Championship. We all know one ring could be huge in Finals this year…

One tube can also be important when you score five in teleoperated mode and only needed that sixth to turn the match around and beat the two ramp lifts your opponents had…:cool:

if u want us to work on our autonomous, why not just let us stack. (reference back to Update 18)

Perhaps I’m missing something here–what does stacking have to do with autonomous? Unless, of course, you’re thinking about having stacked robots function as one unit in autonomous…but I would classify such a strategy as highly unlikely.

As I see it, it’s an hour. Furthermore, it’s an hour that you can’t use for working on the robot in other areas–like everything else, it’s a tradeoff. It won’t in and of itself get any teams scoring ringers, unless they’ve got some magic fingers on the keyboard.

For those making the argument (mostly satirically so) that week 4,5,6 regionals have an advantage over 1,2,3, remember this. All robots in 1,2,3 had the same (dis)advantage of not having that hour for calibration. All robots in 4,5,6 have the same (dis)advantage of having that hour. Each regional was fair in and of itself; the winning alliances are true. No robot in a regional had an advantage over another robot in that same regional due to the hour of calibrations.

Likewise, no 4,5,6 team will have an advantage over a 1,2,3 team because the Atlanta field lighting will be different from all regionals. Teams will still have to calibrate to Atlanta conditions, no matter what or how many regionals they attended.
Similarly, I don’t think rules imposed by head ref(s) at any particular regional had an adverse effect on the outcome of the event. All teams in a regional had to play by the same rules (misguided as though they may be). Only when one team experiences intentional favortism over another due to intentional inconsistency of judging calls does one team profit while another suffers.

[for what it’s worth] I think FIRST has done a great job of showing they acknowledge they can make mistakes, and they are willing to analyze and possibly fix those mistakes if possible. Let’s just hope we don’t get Update #26 during the championships.

I just wish this rule was in effect at the Detroit Regional. I specifically went up to the head judge and asked if I could get on the practice field after Thursday 5 pm matches were completed to calibrate the camera and he said no, because of FIRST rules. I am glad that FIRST has allowed this change for all of us folks working hard on trying to make the camera work. Unfortunately, that was my last tournament to work on the camera. Maybe, next Year!:smiley:

Did this testing period help anyone?

Who went onto the field and tested values and how different were they from what you had?

Any idea how this will play out in Atlanta?

Yeah cameras sure but what about other sensor calibration?

I’m using ultrasonic radar and depends on the distance between the upright poles on the rack which varies a little rack to rack… usually have to guess but being able to actually measure would be very helpful.

If FIRST won’t let me calibrate my sensors… then i guess they only allow one way of doing things and aren’t open to creative guidance systems…

aaah i’m sure they’ll let me, theyre all for new stuff anyhow.

-q