useless facts

i am going to post a couple of useless fact put your own in as well

-1The “black box” in commercial airliners is actually orange.

-2Cats sleep between 14 and 16 hours a day.

-3Steve Martin has hosted Saturday Night Live more than anyone else at 13 times.

-4"Duct Tape" was originally named “Duck Tape” because of its ability to repel water.

i know there is another thread like this one but it was old

Silly Putty is silicon oil and Borax. It was invented over twenty years ago, in fact the patent has now expired, and you can buy it in 50 lb boxes from Dow for $350 a box. In all the years since it was invented, no one has come up with a real use or purpose for the substance!

It has unique properties:

1. if you hold it in your hand it will slowly melt into a blob
  2. but if you shape it into a ball it will bounce without deforming
  3. but if you smack it with a hammer it will shatter like a brick

but since it has no practical use, these facts are useless!

found some more

Howie Mandel was the voice of Gizmo in the movie Gremlins

Twelve percent of lightning strikes occur at golf courses

Eskimos use refrigerators to keep food from freezing

REALLY? quite interesting…

That sounds like an urban legend. You got any documentation?

The hair on the back of my neck stands up everytime I read that! Greg, I’d never expect that from a self-proclaimed grammar Curmudgeon.

1. If you press it onto the Sunday comics, then peel it off and stretch it, you’ll see the characters’ faces become even more comic. Whether this is practical depends on whether you view entertainment as practical. :slight_smile:

By the way, it must have been invented over 30, maybe even 40 years ago, because that’s how long ago I played with it.

not any more. They use permanant ink on newpapers now, so it doesnt come off. As a result Silly Putty stock prices plummeted :^)

no my friend sent me a bunch of these so i pulled out some of the most entertaining ones

oh and one i know to be true

Cinnamon is the bark of the tree Cinnamomum.
and it used to be worth more in weight than gold due to its unusual taste and it is easier to transport i read that in a chemistry article about natural insulin for diabetics.

More useless facts from Indiana.

1. Aviatrix Amelia Earhart was once a Professor at Purdue University.
  2. A Fort Wayne, Indiana Library houses one of the largest genealogy libraries in America.
  3. The world’s first transistor radio was made in Indianapolis.
  4. 90% of the world’s popcorn is grown in Indiana.
  5. The birthplace of the automobile, pneumatic rubber tire, aluminum, casting process, stainless steel, and the first push-button car radio was in Kokomo, Indiana (GO Technokats)

Useless fact # unknown: There is a thread on ChiefDelphi about useless facts.
Useless fact # unknown 2: This is a post in that thread.

sounds like a Snapple cap convention

WC :cool:

At age 47, the Rolling Stones’ bassist, Bill Wyman, began a relationship with 13-year old Mandy Smith, with her mother’s blessing. Six years later, they were married, but the marriage only lasted a year. Not long after, Bill’s 30-year-old son Stephen married Mandy’s mother, age 46. That made Stephen a stepfather to his former stepmother. If Bill and Mandy had remained married, Stephen would have been his father’s father-in-law and his own grandpa.

[dont think about this too long or blood will come gushing out of your nose!]

My history teacher has unintentionally said “um” or “uh” over 700 times in one class(85 minutes)

my junior year HS electrical shop class teacher has said “now” over 100 times in a 45 minute class!

(when he got to 100 with less than 3 minutes to spare, the class erupted in a spontainious roar of laughter, cheers and applause - and he had no idea what was going on)

On average, the nose makes one cup of snot each day.

(I learned that at a community quiz night I went to on Friday.)

well, my friend and I calculated (last year) that if you listen to my physics teacher in a monotonous voice for a week straight, we’d go deaf…and he agreed :expressionless:

For every human being on earth, there are about 200 million insects.

The harmonica is the world’s most popular instrument.

By the time they are 65 years old, most Americans have watched more than nine years worth of television.

The puck in ice hockey can travel at up to 118 mph (190 km/h).

Bulls are color blind.

A can of SPAM is opened every 4 seconds.

i found this one but i know it is not true because his name has the letter “E” in it

Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel with over 50,000 words, none of which containing the letter “E”

looked at

sighed over

covered with saran wrap and placed in the back of the fridge :^)