Useless FRC Statistics

I’m thinking of bringing 330’s 2004 robot to the local offseasons if I can get it running in time.

It’s still good for 40 points, down from 50.

2 Likes

If anyone’s really bored:

See if there’s anything meaningful that can be extract from robot names, correlating to match success? Do long names or short names help? Categories? Something like this analysis.

1 Like

An issue i already see is that many robot names dont accurately line up to their years. I know 4513’s is a massive mess, and i think someone on the TBA facebook group pointed out that 118’s was either off or missing(?)

Many teams also just dont ever name their bots on TBA. Maybe see if theres a correlation between naming/not naming and success? That may just show correlation between success and being a part of the CD/TBA communities though.

3 Likes

Some years, FIRST has allowed teams to enter robot names in the dashboard but this is not true every year. The previous year’s robot name sticks until it is changed, so there’s some bad data on the years where FIRST wasn’t allowing changes directly and also generally where teams had names some years and not others.

4 Likes

Ha.

Well, any data might be useful. I thought of that one offhand, but if anyone’s got a list of teams/mascotts/colors/anything else obscure…

1 Like

The 2015 championship alliance of 118, 1678 and 1671 were 1st, 3rd and 2nd in qualifying at the Sacramento Regional. (5012 wasn’t at Sac.) 1671 had the highest total of container, tote and litter points.

How about how many pop rivets or bolts the average team has on their robot? I always tell people when they say that there is nothing to do they can always count how many rivets are on the robot. They’ll find something to do pretty quickly.

1 Like

Are we including 1501 in the average, or not? That’ll skew the answers pretty heavily.

THRUST does lot of riveting. It actual skews their weight to the light side, not heavily!

On average, the Average Joes uses more than 200 rivets on a robot. Replacing them all with screws (and nuts where needed) would add a pound or two. THRUST might be saving more weight than we are. And we all know that thrust-to-weight ratio is important…

1 Like

Our 2012 robot (Dee Bomb) had over 2200 hand installed rivets. That would keep them busy for awhile :smile:

1 Like

Pics or it didn’t happen

how does your robot hold
this year we tried using rivets for once
and at our week 1 regional
it was the first thing to break

1 Like

What I found this year through what we had no our robot is that rivets work better when if there is going to be a force applied to them it would need to be in the same plane in which the rivet was installed (head side) not perpendicular or they have the higher likelihood to shear (we blew about 15 rivets on this years intake before replacing with bolts.)

Start paging through…

@Wayne_Doenges you need to find a 2012 robot pic and upload.

@clonedcheese 1501 uses a different construction from most teams.

1 Like

Ah yes, had to go back quite a distance.

There is an argument to be made where FRC teams that use rivets use too many of them, but alas that discussion is not for this thread.

Still want pics of the 2012 robot though.

Arent they basically emulating aircraft construction? IIRC i remember seeing something about their bots (2009 specifically) some time ago

2 Likes

Found a few photos on their Flickr:
Imgur

Imgur
Imgur

2 Likes

I’d be interested to see if there’s any correlation between a team’s primary construction technique and their competitive success.

It seems that pretty much all of the west-coast powerhouses use rectangular tube and plate based construction while a lot of notable teams in the northeast use sheet metal more frequently. Maybe that’s just my confirmation-bias sneaking through though. :man_shrugging:

I get that I’m looking at a robot but what exactly is so special about they’re construction method. Besides the fact that everything is insanely clean, I don’t really understand what’s going on or so special.

I’m not saying the robots bad, it’s one of the cleanest robots I’ve seen, I just don’t get what’s special.