Using basketballs as decorative items

We’ve seen in the past teams use game pieces as decorative items on their robots, but some of our team’s question was could we use a basketball game piece as a decorative item clearly not part of the game and still hold 3 extra balls?

And if it was a game piece, but clearly in a place where it wouldn’t be used, or mistaken as being used?

Could just give it a retro paint job to make it obvious. (black with orange stipes, I don’t know).

Good idea! Like the way they distinguish nerf guns from real ones! We may end up doing that! Thanks!

Why can’t you use a true basketball instead? Some are distinctly not this year’s game piece.

The camera doesn’t see like you see. Depending on lighting, an orange ball might appear light orange or even yellowish tanned. The ball might even become red-megenta for worse lighting conditions.

Unless the ball is way far from red on the color spectrum (in other words, it’s green-blue), I doubt judges would be so happy, especially since many teams will likely be taking advantage of image processing this year.

Rule book time:
R08: Robot parts shall not be made from hazardous materials, be unsafe, cause an unsafe condition, or interfere with the operation of other Robots.

C. Any devices or decorations specifically intended to jam or interfere with the remote sensing capabilities of another Robot, including vision systems, acoustic range finders, sonars, infra-red proximity detectors, etc.(e.g. including imagery on your Robot that, to a reasonably astute observer, mimics the Vision Target)

I wouldn’t worry about affect on the camera… 99.9% of teams that use a camera are going to use it for processing the targets on the backboard, not looking at balls.

We have ball detection working. We probably won’t use it, though.

As long as its obviously not able to be used, it should be okay. Just be aware that some inspectors may ask you to deface it (ie. paint it) to make it obvious to referees during the game.