using the frc usb flash drive to format the classmate

We are trying to format the classmate with the given frc USB flash drive e09 2012
After choosing the USB for formatting we get a read error (alt+ctrl+delete to reboot)
what should we do to format the computer ?

You’re not alone. See this thread: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99363

So, We followed the instructions from the thread above and we successfully reformated the Classmate computer.

Finally the windows starts normally and the mouse’s pointer appears, but there is a black screen in the background and an error pops out.

C:\Windows\winSxS\x86_ microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595 b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6975e2bd6f2b2\ComcTL32.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

The only true solution is go to CTL’s website, download the E09 drivers and reinstalling Windows with either XP-32 Bit or 7-32 bit. (Your school might have Disk and CD-Keys for either of these or be able to acquire very them at a pretty cheap rate from Microsoft) The system partition needs to be removed to run the software. Reformat the entire drive to 1 partition in NTFS File System.

Just make an account with full admin rights at first:
Developer

Install Labview, FRC Tools and Drivers Station and Windriver Disk 1, but not Disk 2, The Intel Atom Processor is an X86 (32 Bit) Processor and Windriver Disk 2 is only for installing on XP-64 Bit or 7-64 Bit.

After the Driver Station stuff is installed, you can make another Full Admin Right account called:
Driver

No passwords needed for either account. You can make an password for developer if you desire. I haven’t tried, but I think putting a password on Driver might cause the Driver’s Station to not format correctly into Competition Full Screen Mode.

FIRST has released a new fix so as to correct the flash drive. FIRST Flash Drive Correction Walkthrough

We tried this guide, step by step.
When we connected the usb flash drive, an error message that says: “disk read error” appeared. Now we cant use it for formatting the classmate.

Now, when we boot our classmate a black screen shows up with the following error message:

C:\Windows\winSxS\x86_ microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595 b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6975e2bd6f2b2\ ComcTL32.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

If you place your USB stick into the USB hub, then the USB hub into the classmate it should resolve the Disk Read Error.

I have done this on several classmates with 100% success so far.

As I explained in my previous message, the Disk Read Error was already solved and the Classmate was formatted. The problem is that now when it powers on, a black screen comes up with an error message. (check out the previous message)

I ran into the same problem trying to re-image our classmate E09 using the 8GB thumb drive from 2012. After trying many of the suggestions found in forums, I decided to try and specify a partition size of 5000MB, and not use the entire 8GB drive. After using the usual settings in RMPrepUSB, but entering 5000 instead of MAX, the USB image would then successfully boot on our Classmate, and I was able to re-image for 2013.