Using x-box 360 controller

Hi. We are using the x-box controller and are controlling the robot drive using arcade drive. Using arcade drive frees up 1 joystick on the x-box controller.
We have tried to access the ‘extra’ joystick but can’t seem to get the ‘extra’ joystick to output anything to say, a motor controller. We have assigned the ‘extra’ joystick a refname like ‘Joystick 2’ and have chosen the same USB (1) as the joystick employed for arcade drive. When that didn’t work, we chose USB2 (which also didn’t seem to work). We have the x-axis going into a motor set speed vi. We did not unbundle the y-axis because we didn’t need it for the application.

I know this is probably simple - can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

You should only use one joystick refname for the entire XBox 360 controller. When you use the unbundle by name for the axes output, drag the lower handle to expand it. You should now have multiple axes labels. The other joystick is in those other axes. When I get to work tomorrow and have my work laptop, I’ll try and get you the names of those axes.

I’m currently unable to locate the specific rule, so it’s possible I’m thinking of past years and not this year, however:

I believe there’s a rule that disallows using wireless devices within the alliance station. This means that the Xbox 360 controller is not allowed. The Xbox controller, however, is allowed, because it’s wired, not wireless.

This controller has a cable coming from it and uses an adapter plug for USB. Could this controller still have ‘wireless’ functionality too? Oh, and by the way, it says xbox 360 on the back too.

No, you can’t use the wireless on it. If you plan on using it in your driver station, it all has to be wired.

Quote - “No, you can’t use the wireless on it. If you plan on using it in your driver station, it all has to be wired.”

That is not what I meant. I am not a ‘gamer’ so I don’t know what functionality this x-box controller has besides the obvious wire coming out of it. If the x-box 360 controller has wireless capability (functionality that is not employed for robotic operation) in addition to the serial hardwired interface it has, can it still be used?
As it is right now, it is only used with the wired interface - if it has wireless capability, I am unaware of that nor would I know how to use the wireless capability.

Just so there is no spread of ‘dis-information’ here, there are “wired only” xbox 360 controllers (corded only) that DO NOT HAVE WIRELESS capability. These are ‘legal’ controllers.
This is what we are using.

Works great.

The answer is still no. During an FRC event, you may not use wireless communication other than the specified DS-to-robot link.

As it is right now, it is only used with the wired interface - if it has wireless capability, I am unaware of that nor would I know how to use the wireless capability.

You’re not going to get a lot of help here, because you are not permitted to use wireless controllers. Is that clear enough?

(When you’re not at a competition, the restrictions do not apply. Use whatever controller you want to.)

There are 2 kinds of XBox 360 Controllers, one with a USB cable attached directly, and one that has a USB cable that can be removed to give it wireless capability (the cable allows the battery to be recharged and to give wired capability). The one that is wired and not capable of being unplugged has no wireless functionality at all and is perfectly legal. The other kind is not.

Yes - thanks.
The question was never, “can I use a wireless xbox 360 controller?”. The question was whether or not the controller we have has wireless capability because one post implied that all xbox 360 controllers are wireless - which is not true. I wanted to clarify that point (as another poster subsequently stated).

Back to the original question of the thread, the XY of joystick 2 is 3 and 4.

just for reference for everyone else, here is a button/axis mapping for most of the xbox 360 controller, its missing the D-Pad. Please note that this is only what we came up for one so someone else confirming it would be nice.

button numbers
ButtonA = 1;
ButtonB = 2;
ButtonX = 3;
ButtonY = 4;
LeftBumper = 5;
RightBumper = 6;
Select = 7;
Start = 8;
LeftClick = 9;
RightClick = 10;

joystick axises
LeftXAxis = 1;
LeftYAxis = 2;
TriggerAxis = 3;
/* Both triggers are in this.

• Right Trigger is -1,0]
  • Left Trigger is [0,1]
  • Return value = Right Trigger + Left Trigger */
    RightXAxis = 4;
    RightYAxis = 5;

please excuse the semicolons :stuck_out_tongue:
as for the trigger mapping, it might be inversed of that, not sure been a while since we made this

thank you for the info. Didn’t realize that the ‘unbundle’ was that easy.

Thanks for the values Zme, they worked flawlessly. You saved us some time with that.