utc

Posted by Sean Perkins at 03/03/2001 2:48 PM EST

Student on team #131, CHAOS- Central High and Osram Sylvania, from Manchester High School Central and Osram Sylvaina and Fleet Bank.

any results? please!!

Posted by Matt Ryan at 03/03/2001 7:59 PM EST

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

In Reply to: utc
Posted by Sean Perkins on 03/03/2001 2:48 PM EST:

: any results? please!!

The alliance that won the UTC Regional were:

Team 126
Team 177 (Bobcats)
Team 501
Team 195 (Buzz)
Team 69 (HYPER)

Sorry if I did not list your team name–I am bone tired. Again, I apologize.

I would love to see these 5 teams come together during the nationals.

Posted by Matt Ryan at 03/03/2001 8:00 PM EST

The alliance that won the UTC Regional were:

Team 126
Team 177 (Bobcats)
Team 501
Team 195 (Buzz)
Team 69 (HYPER)

Sorry if I did not list your team name–I am bone tired. Again, I apologize.

I would love to see these 5 teams come together during the nationals.

Posted by Steve Army at 03/03/2001 10:18 PM EST

Student on team #175, Buzz Robotics, from Enrico Fermi High School and Hamilton Sundstrand Space Systems International.

In Reply to: Re: utc
Posted by Matt Ryan on 03/03/2001 8:00 PM EST:

: The alliance that won the UTC Regional were:

: Team 126
: Team 177 (Bobcats)
: Team 501
: Team 195 (Buzz)—(175)
: Team 69 (HYPER)

: I would love to see these 5 teams come together during the nationals.

That would be a great alliance for nationals! That would be cool!!! :slight_smile: You guys (HYPER) did awesome today! Great job!
-Steve, Buzz #175

Posted by Matt Ryan at 03/04/2001 9:24 PM EST

Posted by Steve Army on 03/03/2001 10:18 PM EST:

: That would be a great alliance for nationals! That would be cool!!! :slight_smile: You guys (HYPER) did awesome today! Great job!
: -Steve, Buzz #175

Thank you. You deserve A LOT OF CREDIT. You guys VOLUNTEERED to not play in the finals because you knew it would work out better for the alliance. You truly are people who know what cooperation and teamwork are all about.

Thank you again for being such a great ally.

Posted by mike oleary at 03/03/2001 8:07 PM EST

Student on team #419, rambots, from bc high and sponsors are overrated…go pocket-change robots!!!.

the runner-up alliance was:
team 38
team 58
team 67
team 125
team 419

Posted by Jestin at 03/04/2001 9:47 PM EST

Student on team #131, C.H.A.O.S, from Manchester High School Central and Osram Slyvania/Fleet.

Hey Sean i know you don’t know me, but iam really good friends with HP, and Kenny. This is my first year on CHAOS, and its awesome. anyways those results the other people gave you were right. CHAOS faired well placing in 4th place. we were kinda were tricked by the Aztechs, and then our alliance team #47 chief delphi screwed us over by lying to us. now i know why we all hate them. we could have won this think sean, it just didn’t go our way. we do have an extremely good robot, HP is driving and his balancing skills at the NE regional were amazing. we were the best balancers there along with team 38. teams like the way we look,and FL should be a good showing for CHAOS.

Posted by Mita at 03/05/2001 1:41 AM EST

Other on team #47, alumnus of Chief Delphi team #47, from Cornerstone University.

Posted by Jestin on 03/04/2001 9:47 PM EST:

hmm…what do you mean by lying to you guys? sorry i’m not on the team anymore, but as far as i know, that doesnt sound like chief delphi…maybe we sometimes keep some of our robot functions a secret until nationals, but i dont know what you mean by “lying”…sorry i wasnt there, so i’m just curious…do explain…

and it also caught my attention that you said “now i know why we all hate them.” hmm, why hate us? do share your ideas so we will know what we’re doing wrong and try to do better…

Posted by Dave Carter at 03/05/2001 3:55 AM EST

Other on team #131, C.H.A.O.S. alumni, from University of New Hampshire and Osram Sylvania and Fleet Bank.

In Reply to: chief delphi lying, eh?
Posted by Mita on 03/05/2001 1:41 AM EST:

At the UTC New England regional this past weekend, I made a joke with a few of my FIRST friends that I probably read the Chief Delphi message board more than anyone, I just do it anonymously. Well, I’ve finally decided to break my silence (I usually don’t have time to post.), unfortunately, I’m doing it to help correct a huge misconception created from a whirl wind of ignorance in form of a post by a member of my team.

I have been a member of C.H.A.O.S. now for 3 years (2 years as student coaching/driving/human player) and this year traveling back and forth from UNH to weekend meetings and heading up scouting at the NE regional. Over the past few years, I have seen what it means to be a member of 131.

Myself, along with many students (past and present), engineers (past and present), and one single faculty advisor (the beloved Dave Kelso) have spent almost 10 years building the reputation of this team and building friendships around the FIRST community.

After coming home at 1:30 on an early Monday morning, (praying for a snow day, mind you.) I routinely checked the Chief Delphi board for any more feedback in regards to the regionals from this past weekend. I was appalled to see a post, from a rookie member of my team, that displayed an ignorance strong enough to tarnish the reputation that all those students, engineers, and faculty members (once again, namely Kelso) have been building on now for almost 10 years.

As someone who has been there, and knows many of the New Englanders that post on this board, let my assure that those opinions DO NOT reflect the feelings the C.H.A.O.S. has for Chief Delphi (47), or the Aztechs (157).

Take it from someone who has been up there before, we have nothing but respect and admiration for Chief Delphi. Year in and year out, #47 demonstrates a quality that sets the standard for all teams to strive to achieve. Thursday morning, my good friend (and C.H.A.O.S. coach) Steve Smith and I talked with Dr. Joe Johnson and scouted the CD machine. As always, we were extremely impressed with the design and overall beauty in engineering of your machine. Throughout the weekend, your team’s spirit was stellar and your students handled themselves in the classy fashion that has been associated with Chief Delphi for a number of years now. Each season, you not only produce a championship calibur machine, but you demonstrate the championship calibur attitude of gracious professionalism that F.I.R.S.T. demands of all participants. It was a true honor to be partnered with Chief this past weekend at the New England regional. Thank you.

As for the Aztechs, the same applies to your team. Over the past few years… 131 has developed a strong relationship based on respect and admiration for the Aztechs. You did not “trick” us. For anyone to believe that is absolutely absurd. The truth is, they picked us. Without the Aztechs, we might not have made the playoffs. For that, we thank them. I hope that Mike F. of the Aztechs knows that people like Steve, myself, Keith Liadis (former driver), Dave Kelso, and others that have gotten to know you, your team, and become acustomed to the excellence you display each and every year that the derogatory opinions that have been posted in no way reflect that of C.H.A.O.S… especially those who know you and have been there with you before.

I sincerely apologize for myself and on behalf of C.H.A.O.S. It’s rather disheartening that a single paragraph of ignorance can tarnish a reputation that has been nearly 10 years in the making. This is an absolute embarassment and BY NO MEANS, reflects the thoughts and opinions of Team 131. Like I said, take it from someone who has been there, we have nothing but respect and admiration for CD and the Aztechs… and for every other partcipant in FIRST… rookie or veteran.

Thank you Aztechs for being gracious enough to draft us this weekend. Thank you Chief Delphi for being wonderful and enthusiastic partners.

C.H.A.O.S. has always had a lot of anonymous CD message board readers. It’s unfortunate that one of the few posts we make is based on such ignorance. This does not reflect the intelligence displayed by the majority of our students.

New England was a blast, I couldn’t have spent my birthday (which was Saturday, the big 19) in a place I love more, the regionals.

Good luck to everyone in upcoming regionals… And Nationals (Wish I could be there.)

Thank you,
We’re sincerely sorry
And I hope this sets the record straight.

• Carter

Posted by Mita at 03/05/2001 2:27 AM EST

Other on team #47, alumnus of Chief Delphi team #47, from Cornerstone University.

oh yeah…it still bothers me about what you mean when you said “we ALL hate them” (Chief Delphi)…what do you mean “ALL”? do you mean your whole team or ALL the teams on the east coast (assuming youre from the east coast) or ALL the first teams?

since youre a rookie on that team (not sure if youve been on other teams before), have you talked to ALL first team members and asked them if they ALL hate us? just curious…

because i surely dont hate Chief Delphi…in fact, i LOVE them because i’ve learned soo much from being on the team (99-00)…i mean, from working with CADETs, to preparing and running the CDI, to working on the chairman’s submission (i was on the chairman’s team), to working with the engineers (at the delphi plant and see how their job is like), to brainstorming and working on the robot, to just plain ol’ sitting down with them for breakfast on saturdays…(the list goes on)…i enjoyed every moment with the team…

so i just dont understand why you hate us…sorry for bringing this up again, but do exaggerate on why you hate us…

Posted by David Kelso at 03/05/2001 8:00 AM EST

Coach on team #131, C.H.A.O.S.-, from Central High School and OSRAM SYLVANIA/ Fleet .

There are many better ways to wake up in the morning than by reading a post by one of your team members that in a single paragraph rips apart the heart of the entire FIRST experience. Every American is entitled to his or her own feelings but Jestin is not a team spokesperson and had no business making such foolish statements. As you can see from his public post, he branded the word ROOKIE across his own forehead.

I know the team does not share his feelings. He was out of line in making that implication. After Chief Delphi was chosen to be in the Alliance, I immendiately went to Dr. Joe and congradulated him and made mention of the fact that I was glad we finally had a chance to be on the same side. (in three years of alliance situations, we have never been paired up as far as I can recall).

I have often thanked the Team 47 for making this board availabe to teams. It is the best. But sometimes I wish I had a giant eraser that could erase some ill thought comments.

I apologize on behalf of Team 131 for the rude comments made by one of my members. It was unjust, unfounded and not in the Spirit of FIRST. I have always had great respect for both Chief Delpi and the Aztech Team. Both offer superior programs and are organized by advisors of the greatest dedication.

Posted by Andy Baker at 03/05/2001 8:50 AM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted by David Kelso on 03/05/2001 8:00 AM EST:

: I have often thanked the Team 47 for making this board availabe to teams. It is the best. But sometimes I wish I had a giant eraser that could erase some ill thought comments.

This isn’t my business at all, but I thought that I would say something:

For everyone posting in here… expecially the rookies:
Remember that you are representing your entire team, your school, your sponsors and your community. Do not make the mistake that was made here. It has happened before and it may happen again (but I hope not).

What you write here is read by not only the people who post, but as Dave Carter said, by many, many others.

As for someone who is not related to this situation, I can attest that team 131 is always a very gracious and professional team, with super people. This is just an unfortunate mistake.

Andy B.

Posted by Joe Johnson at 03/05/2001 11:32 AM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Ouch!

Did we do what we needed to do to win the match? Regretfully not.

Is our robot capable of doing what Aztechs asked us to do?

I can only give you the answer I gave to Mike F., the leader of team 157 when he asked. Basically, I told him that we have put balls on goals with that are balanced on the bridge in practice, but only from the end of the bridge, not from the side. We have never tried to put it on from the side, we don’t know, but we THINK we can.

As it turns out, we did not get the most advantageous grip on the ball for attempting this feat. Can we do it, I am still thinking that we can, but I will only be able to say yes or no after we practice today (Monday).

Are me mortified that we didn’t do what we had hoped to do? YES!

Are we liars? NO!

Does everyone hate us, as you claim? I certainly hope not but if it is, it is not because we lied about what we could or could not do in a robot competition.

Joe J.

Posted by smitty at 03/05/2001 12:10 PM EST

Student on team #131, chaos, from central ghetto high school and osram sylvania.

In Reply to: Human, yes. Liars, no.
Posted by Joe Johnson on 03/05/2001 11:32 AM EST:

Ok…lets get something straight here.

1: CD did not lie…i know this for a fact because I am the coach for team 131, and I was there when they said exactly what Joe just said in the prior post.

2: The Aztechs did not trick us, in fact, as always it was an honor to be allied with such a tremendous team.

3: As always, team CHAOS was privaleged to compete with some great teams in NE, including the Aztechs and CD, whom we have the utmost repsect for.

It was a pleasure to get to talk strategy with some of the best minds in the game this past weekend, and while the outcome was not what we had hoped for, the intentions were incredible.

To CD, I sincerely apologize for the slandering of your team name and reputation, both of which are impeccable and well thought of.

To The Aztechs, especially Mike, who I have gotten to know pretty well through the past two years of coaching, and five years on the team, I am sorry. Both personally and professionaly. The Aztechs this year are as always, an incredible team, and i know for a fact that every member of CHAOS stage crew thought it an honor to be on stage with you.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to seeing you all in Florida, and hopefully continuing the friendships made so far.

On a brighter note…Congrats to the winning UTC alliance. Especially to my good friends Tom and Andy from team 126. Two guys who deserve every amount of praise they can get, and to the rest of NYPRO, truly one of the classiest teams I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with.

Peace out…

Smitty
Steve Smith

Posted by Doug Greenlee at 03/05/2001 1:30 PM EST

Engineer on team #157, Aztechs, from Assabet Valley RTHS and Simplex.

In Reply to: Human, yes. Liars, no.
Posted by Joe Johnson on 03/05/2001 11:32 AM EST:

:I am an engineer/coach for the Aztechs, and can verify what Joe is saying. He was completely honest when he responded to Mike F., in stating CD’s capabilities. I know this for a fact, as I was standing right in the middle of the conversation.
The whole competition was a crap shoot. Sometimes you win, sometimes not. It was a pleasure to compete with the upmost worthy teams, and if the scenario were repeated, I would change nothing. I am very proud of the Aztechs and the alliances that we chose.

Posted by Joe Johnson at 03/05/2001 1:49 PM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Re: Human, yes. Liars, no.
Posted by Doug Greenlee on 03/05/2001 1:30 PM EST:

I have had little to no contact with the Aztech team prior to this tourney, but I was impressed with what I saw at the UTC regional.

A class act all the way around.

Joe J.