Valves

So my team needs some new valves. We were wondering how big the valves can be?

Thanks
Steve

Please clarify as to what you mean by “how big the valves can be”.
If you can give us a reference as to what they will do, I am sure we can find an option.

I’ll tell you after I look at the pneumatics rules–or, in about 3 days.

And yes, you will need to look at those if you want to have pneumatics. (I seem to remember last year’s specs had both port diameter and Cv as specs; the 2012 rules may vary from those significantly or not at all.)

Air Compressor valves is what im looking for.

What is an “air compressor valve”? Do you mean:
a) the air compressor itself?
or b) the brass pressure relief valve (PRV) that attaches to the compressor (or appropriate brass hardware)?
or c) some other valve in the pneumatic system, like the solenoid valves?

The answers to all of those will be found in the 2012 Manual; however, if you would like to get an idea of what was allowed in the past, start at page 25 of the 2011 Game Manual Section 4. (Note: Anything seen in the 2011 Manual does not apply in 2012 except where the rule is repeated in the 2012 Manual.)

Thanks Erich your a big help as always:) It was the solenoid valve I looked it up and it said

Solenoid valves with a maximum ⅛” NPT port diameter, and a maximum Cv of 0.32 (if non-KOP valves are used, the team will be required to provide part documentation validating that the valves meet these constraints).

Sorry I sounded kinda dumb im not very familiar with the pneumatics on the robot.

Thanks again for help
Steve

That should resolve itself pretty soon. Good Luck!

Air makes pistons extend and things move! :stuck_out_tongue:

My favorite way of explaining things to teenagers or grown adults is the way you would to a 3 year old, because oddly enough, they get it.

I know what each component does but I forget the names and confuse them with each other a lot. So in the end I make no sense:)

Air makes cylinders extend or retract.
Is best to not get in the habit of mixing terms. the piston is the component within the cylinder that the air acts upon, the device itself, however is called a “pneumatic cylinder” (“pneumatic linear actuator” is also acceptable). (the or retract part was superfluous, I just wanted to clarify that it does work both ways sometimes)

Steve,
Don’t worry about, the connection will come in a few days or weeks. Pretty soon you will be talking just like the other guys on this thread. I do not expect any changes in the flow rate listed in last year’s rules. However, the 2012 rules will be the only one’s that apply to the upcoming season. The GDC felt that a limit in flow rate gives a more level playing field in respect to cylinder movement. Read that as don’t expect to get a quick pneumatic action with a large diameter piston that has a long stroke.

If you can wait 48 hours, you can order your valves with absolute certainty that they will be legal. If you do it now, there is a risk (however small) that the pneumatics rules have changed.

Solenoid valves are expensive - I would wait!

Actually I was on programming for the past two years and now am on mechanical:) I know how most of the pneumatics work because I programmed them my first year. I saw the simbot app that came out and its a good reference pneumatics.
48 hours sounds long I think I can make it hehe

Does anyone know if the robot regulator dumps pressure or only reduces it down the the legal 60 psi limit?

If something on the low side causes the 60 psi to rise, it is vented to atmosphere through the regulator.