Versaplantary

Doing this for someone on my team:

Hi, so I am trying to figure out exactly what my team needs in order to make some Versaplantaries. Does anyone have a suggestion of how much of each part my team should purchase?
(Ignore Motors, Adapters, Encoder)

I’m talking about these:

Thank you so much,
Micheal

For the basic Motor/Gearbox combo you are going to need:

1. Motor (1)
  2. Base Kit (1)
  3. Ring Gear (1 per stage)
  4. Gear Kit (1 per stage)

You will also need to make sure that you have the proper fasteners for the length of gearbox you are planning to make.

How many of each item that you buy depends on your budget and your needs. If you have a fairly large budget then more ring gear and gear kit options will help to make your prototyping go faster, but otherwise one of each will allow you to make a prototype gearbox and order more of the kits that you need. Additionally, the 1/2" hex base kits tend to sell out pretty quickly so you will probably want to stock up on those.

If you want to add things like the dual input stage, encoder stage, ratchet stage, etc. then you will need to have more items.

VPs are wonderful things. As far as what you are needing to get starting, it really depends on the application you are going to be using the VPs for and what motor you are going to be using. If you are using 775 pros, you are going to be needing to use greater reductions just because of the higher rpm rates.

What are you looking to use the VPs for, this will help give better guidance as to what things you will need stagewise over the generic stuff?

Some advice I can give, chose to get either 9:1s OR 10:1s for the higher reductions NOT both. Having both 9:1s and 10:1s is a recipe for disaster because even with the documentation they are very hard to distinguish between the two different sizes. There was a company that released a template last year that can quickly identify the suns and planet gears (https://www.armabot.com/products/versaplanetary-template) but there are differences in the bases that are not as easy to distinguish. You can organize them properly but then accidents happen and things get all mixed together and then you spend forever figuring out which is a 9 and which is a 10.

The VP Base kit mounts one (775, 550, 9015, Fisher-Price, BAG) motor to the given output shaft at a 1:1 ratio.

For each stage of reduction, you’ll need a gear kit for the amount of reduction, and a ring gear (only one size of ring gear). If you want to stock several reductions but not use them together, you only need as many ring gears as you’re going to use at a time.

For CIM/mini-CIM, dual-motor, ratchet, or encoder, you’ll need those kits.

Bolts to hold it together.

lithium grease! (Vex recommends white, though I use red because that’s what I have. Just don’t mix them.)

As far as selecting which stages and how many to order, you may find the answer in this recent thread.

Note that VP lites are also available at a lower cost. They do not support side-mounting or CIMs, and (based on Vex’s documentation) are not strong enough for many two or more stage reductions. Still, that covers a significant number of traditional VP applications.

We saw this issue also and made an improvement for the next batch of templates (should be here in 2-3 weeks). We added base pin holes for identification and an arrow mark that shows the 10:1 marker from the 9:1 that is plain. Below is a sneak peak of whats to come!

All new orders will be fulfilled with the new version.

Awesome! That is a wonderful improvement.