Version 1.5 Bin file

Has anyone had problems with the version 1.5 bin file?

We were at the Milwaukee regionals today and per the recomendation of a FIRST official it was suggested that we might want to upgrade from v1.4 to v1.5 which we did… Unfortunately the day went from bad to worse…

After upgrading and then re-loading my code, nothing would work… The RC would not switch the spikes… then after messing with my code for a few hours I decided to try a different RC from the spare parts depot and it worked… but then the joysticks were all messed up where the port 4 joystick X motion reported as the Y position on the dash board viewer and the thumbwheel on port3 changed the port3 X on the dashboard viewer…

Then I got into a long debate with the IFI guy who told me that it had to be my code but I asked him to humor me and lend me another OI unit… So I got a replacement OI unit and that fixed the problem…
I do not know what happened…** I am guessing that the RC unit took a dump and the one that they gave as a replacement wasn’t compatible with my OI unit?

Has anyone experienced anything like this with failing OI & RC units before?

PS- I do not have the IFI software that loads the bin file and the hex file together but i did reload my code several times… how nuts is that?

The IFI loader can load both bin and hex files. Look under the file type drop down menu when you goto open a file for upload to the controller. Did you upload the master code with the OI tethered to the robot?

The V15 master code should have had no effect on your programming as the update fixes radio issues.

The V15 master code should have had no effect on your programming as the update fixes radio issues.

Yep that is what the IFI guys said too, I guess maybe that RC was just a piece of junk waiting to die…

Wait… You replaced the OI and it works now, but you think the RC is broken? Please clarify.

The dashboard viewer displayed that the RC was working and all control lines were functioning but it would not change the spikes. The RC unit would not switch (control) the spikes so we replaced it. (and yes the code hex file was downloaded a few times but still no cigar).

After loading the new RC with the same code, the new RC would control the spikes but then, the OI started acting funny and would not map the joysticks correctly. For example, the port 3 joystic X position displayed as the Y position on the dashboard viewer and the p3 wheel reported as the joystick x… so we had to swap the OI out also…

I am left wondering if the replacement RC and our original OI were not compatible for some reason but the IFI guy said that they should work…

The hardware problems that we faced with the RC & the OI modules was a bad experieince which kept us from getting any practice and left our rookie team at an extreme advantage…

The 2004 - 2007 OI should be compatible with the 07 RC. As well as the 2004-2007 RC should be compatible with the 07 OI. Hopefully when you guys get finished you will be able to send you parts to IFI and get everything checked out.

The IFI rep at the regional checked them out with what tools he had available on site and couldn’t find anything wrong but said that we should send them into IFI to get them checked out…

From very humble beginnings and having to overcome several problems and obstacles, our little rookie team (9 kids & 2 mentors) prevailed. Although we missed the Thursday practices, by end of the day on Friday was able to score 2 ringers in our last match of the day.

Then on Saturday we were ranked 45 out of 52 teams (26 of which were also rookies). But instead of packing everything up after our last match, we got an awesome surprise… one of the teams that we helped to fix a problem with their robot the day before rose up to be the 7th seed team and chose to repay us a favor by choosing us as their 3rd alliance partner for the finals competition where teams play 2 out of 3 matches. Later, with the matches 1 apiece, our alliance almost squeaked out the rubber match- but what a rush to come from behind and be there competing in the final competiton on day 3…

Then surprise #2, we won the “inspirational rookie of the year” award…

All I can say is “Wow”… I am so proud of our team…

The two very important lessons learned for our rookie team this year were, stick to it and overcome all obstacles an help anyone along the way that you can…

What more can anyone ask for right?