VEX 2-Wire Motor 393 Help

Hey, so we’re interested in using a vex 2-wire motor 393 and we’re wondering how to wire it? Any help? :slight_smile:

The only power regulating devices for actuators permitted on the ROBOT include:

Jaguar motor controller (P/N: MDL-BDC, MDL-BDC24, and 217-3367),
Victor 884 motor controller (P/N: VICTOR-884-12/12),
Victor 888 motor controller (P/N: 217-2769),
Talon motor controller (P/N: CTRE_Talon and am-2195),
VEX motor controller (P/N: 276-2193) for controlling VEX 2-wire Motor 393 (P/N: 276-2177) only, and
Spike H-Bridge Relay (P/N: 217-0220).

So basically you can use the provided vex motor controller and go straight into a dsc or use a motor controller/ spike relay

You’ll need one of these:

http://www.vexrobotics.com/vex/products/accessories/motion/276-2193.html

Then, you’ll wire that to a PWM port on the digital sidecar. Make sure to insert a jumper to power the motor.

Can the digital sidecar supply the 4.8 Amps this motor pulls at stall?

No, it cannot. 3.0 Amps is all the digital side can handle.
Also note that that motor is rated at 7.2 volts.
The “servo” jumper for power on the digital side car will provide 6.5 volts.

You’ll be be able to run it at a lower voltage, as such a slightly slower RPM.
As long as it’s not bound up, then the brief stall at start-up won’t be a problem.
I would also put a 2.5 - 3.0 AMP fuse inline with the power lead for this motor.
You’ll blow the fuse before tripping the sidecar.

So simply put, don’t stall it.

Is there another legal way to supply current to this motor so it can be supplied its spec’d voltage and full stall current? Wire to the PDB and use an 8-Volt regulator or something? Would that be legal?

I don’t think so. I believe the options are 6V from the DSC through the Vex controller or 12V from another power regulating device(spike/victor/etc.).

We spent a few hours looking for a voltage regular to do just that without any success. We even looked into making our own voltage divider, but we simply could find resistors that could handle the wattage and be able dissipate the heat generated.

So we basically said… Ok. Well use it at 6.5 volts with an inline fuse.

6.5 volts is 90% of 7.2 volts so you’ll get 90% of what you’d expect from that motor. It will be something like 140rpm instead of 160rpm.