Vex "Gateway" 2011-2012 VRC Game

http://www.vexforum.com/wiki/index.php/Gateway

Looks like another fun year of monthly tournaments in the DC, Baltimore and Philly regions

When is the kickoff/game animation going to be released?

Kick off of the game was today, but i haven’t seen the game animation for it yet. The game looks ok, a challenge to say the least. Its going to be slow moving and low scoring, unlike this years game. This game is going to rely on the teams strategy

That’s interesting you say that:
“VEX Gateway is intended to be an offensive game” from the game manual. But i guess in comparison to round up there will be a lot fewer points.
They need to explain the part where the humans can go on to the field, they’re not clarifying that very well.

Do you know what poped into my head when they said “VEX gateway is intended to be an offensive game”? LOGOMOTION. But it should be pretty interesting, there defiantly lots of room for different designs and iterations.

Also, the gate rules are also a little unclear

<SG11> Drivers or Coaches may lift their own Gate at any time during the Match. Once lifting of the Gate
had begun it must be finished promptly and the Gate cannot be dropped. Both Gates must be lifted and
latched before thirty (30) seconds are remaining in the Match. Violations of this rule will result in a
Disqualification of both teams on the offending Alliance.

What does “latched” really mean? because you can latch a gate closed, but can you latch a gate open?

Yep. There’s a lot of weird rules that will hopefully get cleared up by a visual, aka animation

Anybody else have difficulty opening the manual?

What part are you trying to open? If you mean the game manual, then I didn’t have a problem. If you’re trying to open up the appendixes, then you will likely need WinRAR (or an equivalent program if there is such a thing).

From reading the rules it seems clear to me they mean latched open.
Because in the rule they say the gate has to be lifted before the last 30 seconds and they also say it must be completed promptly.

I’ve pretty much read the entire manual and I’m still pretty confused. I defiantly need to see the animation:p. Surely going to be an interesting year;]. Good luck to everyone!

What does “latched” really mean? because you can latch a gate closed, but can you latch a gate open?

The way I interpreted it was that there is probably some kind of latch on the field wall where you latch the gate once its up so the coach doesn’t have to sit there holding it up the whole match.

They need to explain the part where the humans can go on to the field, they’re not clarifying that very well.

I don’t feel like opening up my manuel cause I’m lazy ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I think basically if you’re robot wasn’t able to move at the beginning of the match you can reach in and ix the battery/cord/cpu/etc. to get it to run as long as its touching your colored mat tile (which if it wasn’t moving should not be a problem). Whether they covered it in the rules or not, VEX won’t allow people to walk onto the field to fix a robot or anything crazy like that. I think they basically added this because they were tired of seeing matches go to a waste because teams couldn’t move. As far as discussion that has been going on so far about whether this could be like FLL where you add and subtract “attachments”, I don’t believe that will work because (once again, paraphrasing cause I’m lazy) the definition of a robot is anything brought to the field that is not a controller or person. So you can’t keep attachments with you to put on later; at least the way I’m interpreting it.

I’ve pretty much read the entire manual and I’m still pretty confused. I defiantly need to see the animation. Surely going to be an interesting year;]. Good luck to everyone!

They played the animation at World, so I’m sure they will put it up once this weekend is over. They will probably post Appendix’s B,C,D,E soon too.

This season’s going to be awesome. And DISNEYLAND!!! Cali here we come. But gotta focus on St. Louis first :stuck_out_tongue:

See everyone on the field in St. Louis and this coming season for Gateway!

I understand SG5 and SG6, but I don’t understand SG15. What are the human players allowed to do once the gates are lifted?

The manual says that people can reach in and adjust something on the robot provided it hasn’t moved out the starting area.

Hope that clears up part of the confusion.

That’s not most confusing part. SG15 is what makes no sense
Hopefully someone understands that :stuck_out_tongue:

Huh. I would guess that… Nah… What if… Nah, that doesn’t make sense either…

I give up on that rule. It’s definitely going to need clarification.

Alright, So I think we know what to post to there Q&A forum. But i did figure out the gate latch thing, theres a Velcro strap that secure’s it in the up position so the coach has to walk around lift up the gate and Velcro it up. I found this looking at appendix A. Hope this helps.

<SG15> Team members may not enter the playing field until the head referee has given the “all clear”
signal and both Gates are down

I think this is referring to either teams entering the field or taking their robots and leaving. I guess its just there to ensure an orderly transition between matches.

Ah, that makes sense. I feel stupid now :stuck_out_tongue:
They really made it sound like its a situation during the game haha.

Does anybody know if the gate has to be latched back at the 30 second mark, or just be in the process of doing so?

How do you get appendix A: Field Specs to open??? I can’t get it to open for the life of me…

It works fine for me. Its a ZIP file. I will PM you with a link to a google docs file of it. PM me if anyone else would like the google docs link.

Hope this helps,
-Duke

EDIT: Here is the google docs link for a ZIP file of appendix A: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2jz8BehITjMODFmODkwY2ItNGU4Zi00OGVlLWI2MTktYjQ1MjQ3YmQ2ZjA1&hl=en&authkey=CMyJoUY